7 Beautiful Trails to Hike During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Now that spring is here, it’s officially time to come out of hibernation and shake off the winter quarter blues—and what better way to do that than exploring the great outdoors? Grab some friends, choose a trail and hike through the nation’s glorious wilderness during spring break.  It’ll be a refreshing start to a new quarter!

1. McKenzie River Trail, Eugene, Oregon

26 miles of stunning clear lakes, tumbling waterfalls and lush green foliage await you on this trail in the Willamette National Forest.  Named one of the top five trails for running in the U.S. by theClymb.com, it’s also considered one of the best mountain biking trails in the country. 

2. Skyline Trail, Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington

If you’re not quite ready to say goodbye to the cold yet, Skyline Trail is the place to be. The climb gets pretty steep at some points and can be tough, but the view from the top of the mountain makes it well worth it. 

3. Trading Post Trail, Denver, Colorado

This is a great trail for those looking for an easier hike—it’s only 1.4 miles long and at a relatively low altitude—but it’s still definitely worth spending part of your day on.  The red rocks make for some amazing photographs, so don’t forget a camera!

4. The Highline Trail, Glacier National Park, Montana

Don’t let the altitude get the best of you: even those who are scared of heights will want to face their fear to experience the incredible beauty of the Highline Trail.  It’s a one-way, 11.4-mile path that takes about a full day to cross, so plan and pack accordingly.  The spectacular views and abundant wildlife are what make this hike truly incredible. 

5. Yosemite Grand Traverse, California

This one’s for those who are ready to take on both a physical and mental challenge.  It takes about six to seven days to complete the 60-mile round trip through the Grand Traverse, and it reaches as high as 12,000 feet!  It’s a tough hike, so it’s best to hire a guide. 

6. Angel’s Landing, Zion National Park, Utah

Another trail that isn’t for the faint of heart, Angel’s Landing starts as a series of switchbacks known as Walter’s Wiggles.  The switchbacks lead to Scout Lookout, which offers a pleasant picnic spot and some amazing views.  This is where the trail ends for those who don’t want to continue across the 3-foot wide mountain path with drops straight down either side to the landing (but we think you’re brave enough to try).

7. Havasupai Trail, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona

This enchanting waterfall isn’t called the Garden of Eden of the desert for nothing.  Mooney Falls (also known as Havasu Falls) is what awaits you at the end of the 10-mile Havasupai Trail.  What’s even better than reaching the falls at the end is getting there: you have to make your way through two natural caves that are now tunnels etched into the canyon walls.  Be sure to bring sunscreen and lots of water; the Arizona heat will quickly make you turn back if you aren’t prepared.

These seven hikes prove the outdoors really is great! Happy hiking.

I like iced coffee, red lipstick, good books, short runs, Korean rap, big dogs, warm weather, funny people and cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Writing is fun too, I guess.  Find me on Twitter: [at]cseiter17. 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu