This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s spooky szn!

Lucky for us that October is 31 days because this list of throwback Halloween movies to get you in the spooky spirit is endless. Tis’ the szn for curling up on the couch with your besties and watching a movie that brings you back to your childhood. The essentials: pumpkin bread, candy corn, and great company.

Hocus Pocus

It’s not a real list of Halloween movies if Hocus Pocus isn’t included. What’s better than watching a talking cat and the Sanderson sisters bicker? This 1993 production is still to this day one of the most iconic Halloween movies.

The Haunted Mansion

Let’s be real…. nothing can beat Eddie Murphy. The movie tells the story of a real estate agent who gets stuck inside his latest listing with his family. It’s spooky, fun, and based off the Disneyland ride, The Haunted Mansion.

Halloweentown

This Disney Channel original will go down in history. Watch Marnie learn that her family comes from witches, that she too is a witch, and that she has to fight against evil forces —  all on her 13th birthday.

Twitches

Tia and Tamera Mowry were household names in the 90’s. Twitches follows twin 21 year-olds who reunite on their birthday and must save their kingdom using their magic powers. Watching this sisterly bond will bring you right back to 2005.

Casper Meets Wendy

Casper the friendly ghost! This ultimate throwback with Hillary Duff will forever be a favorite. Enjoy Wendy and Casper become fast friends and fight to take down an evil warlock. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Let’s just say the Pumpkin King is ready for something new and fresh. Jack Skellington introduces Christmas to his Halloween-obsessed townspeople hoping they are ready for a change too. Although the title may be misleading, don’t be fooled — this is a Halloween favorite!

Do you feel old yet? This ultimate throwback Halloween guide will bring you nothing but happiness, nostalgia and spooky vibes.

Megan O'Grady

Cal Poly '21

Megan O’Grady is a fourth year Child Development major with a Psychology minor. She’s a sucker for astrology, sex + relationships, and deep talks. When Megan is not writing for Her Campus, she’s most likely dancing, watching music videos, or thinking about Harry Styles.