6 Thoughts You Have When PolyLearn is Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Technology is a beautiful thing. Not only do we have a constant form of communication with our professors, but we also have a website devoted to keeping all of our assignments up-to-date and organized all in one place. Honestly, I don’t even want to know what college would be like without it.

However, as with all good things, there is an element of bad that comes along with it. PolyLearn is prone to crashing – and at the worst times imaginable! Sometimes, if we’re lucky, the crash will only last a few minutes or hours, giving us plenty of time to submit our assignments on time or take that last-minute online quiz before heading to class.

Here are six thoughts we’ve all had when PolyLearn was down:

“Wait…is the Internet down or is it just PolyLearn?”

*pulls out cell phone and checks Instagram* We would never survive without our internet, so our first thought is clearly centered on whether we can still check our favorite social media outlets.

“Sh*t, I still haven’t submitted my assignment!!”  

We may have completed our assignment days ago, but our procrastinating ways have kept us from officially uploading onto PolyLearn. At this point, your only option is to hope your professor will accept an emailed version of your essay.

“I should’ve taken that online quiz earlier…”

Our professors always warn us about ensuring we have adequate time to complete our online quizzes, but how many of us actually take it the first day its assigned?

“Does this mean class is cancelled?”

I mean, how can we go to class without seeing our assignments? Clearly the best option is to just cancel all classes until PolyLearn is running again.

“I don’t even remember what the assignment is.”

Why would professors even post assignments on PolyLearn if we weren’t supposed to reread it over and over again? Sometimes we don’t even look at it until the day its due. 

“Is it fixed yet!?”

It’s normal to obsessively check to see if PolyLearn is working again, right?

There’s nothing more stressful than having PolyLearn crash in the middle of the day, and, unfortunately, it’s bound to make at least one of us get a zero on an assignment. 

Taylor Petschl

Cal Poly '18

Taylor Petschl is a Cal Poly SLO alum and is currently attending Boston University for graduate school. She is a former campus correspondent and editorial intern for Her campus!