6 Things Every College Student Needs to Survive Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With Thanksgiving break over, there is one more hurdle students have to jump in order to get to Christmas break: finals week! The one week in the quarter Cal Poly students dread because of the endless late nights in Kennedy Library and the information overload they are required to memorize! However, don’t fret because Her Campus Cal Poly is here to give you the ultimate guide of the essentials you will need to make it out alive and happy! 

1. Caffeine- AKA Coffee

With the endless hours you will need for your mind to function and stay focused, what better way to get the task done than drinking a cup of coffee! Whether it be a peppermint mocha from Starbucks or your favorite coffee from Scouts, coffee is sure to get the job done!

2. Healthy Snacks

With the endless studying we have to do, we are always counting our precious seconds and minutes to ensure we don’t get off task by going on Facebook, Tumblr or YouTube. However, we often forget the need to take care of our bodies, especially at this time when it is in REALLY stressed out state. So, next time you go grocery shopping, make sure you buy yourself some granola bars, apples with peanut butter or whatever your heart desires!

3. Water, Water and more Water

Though this might be a simple and basic necessity in our lives, we sometime have a tendency to forget it in very stressful situations, like finals week! So, always remember to have a reusable water bottle on hand so you are forcing yourself to stay hydrated!

4. Comfy Clothing

We all know there will be numerous hours we will be spending in the library, and as a result we will need comfy clothing to wear. Whether your “thang” is comfy yoga pants or an ugly christmas sweater to put you in the Christmas spirit, there are always reasons to wear comfy clothing during finals week!

5. A Different Study Break Spot

Though it might be tempting to use your phone or go on the internet during your study breaks, it is also equally, or even more, rewarding to go out of the building to get a breath of fresh air. That can be anything such as taking a walk to the arboretum or grabbing a quick bowl of frozen yogurt with your friends from YoCre.

6. Last, But Not Least, Positive Attitude!

Studies have shown that going into the exam with a positive attitude increases an individual’s chances of getting better grades on exams! But aside from the stats, we all know the amount of hard work we put into studying for all these classes and we are not going to let anything get in our way! As Leslie Knope says it best:

“So, remember to take breaks, stay hydrated and dress comfy. Stay positive; you got this!”

I am a second year Business Major at Cal Poly SLO! When I'm not procrastinating about midterms or homework, I love watching the Ellen Show, watching Tasty videos on Youtube and hanging out with friends.