books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Best Coffee Shops Outside of SLO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Tired of going to the same few coffee shops in SLO? While places like Scout and Kreuzberg are great places to study and grab a cup of coffee, check out some of these places a little farther away for a change!

1. Kraken Coffee Co. – Avila Beach

Located right along the beach, Kraken Coffee Co. is a brand new coffee shop in Avila. Although small, with limited study space (get there early!), the coffee is absolutely amazing. Bonus: they also sell Batch ice cream! Plus, with an amazing view of the ocean from inside, it makes for a pretty prime place to get some work done. 

2. Steaming Bean – Shell Beach

Right off of the Pacific Coast Highway in Shell Beach, Steaming Bean has incredible coffee. With a simple and trendy vibe, and lots of study room, this is a great place to check out. They also have a larger menu than most coffee shops, so there are plenty of study snacks to choose from. And how cute is the name?!

3. Top Dog – Morro Bay

Top Dog in Morro Bay is one of the best coffee shops to study at! There’s space inside or outside in their small garden area filled with cute plants and flowers. They have a full menu, complete with everything from acai bowls to sandwiches, so you can really camp out all day! 

4. Cayucos Coffee – Cayucos

Although small, this is one of the best coffee shops in Cayucos. This shop has a local beachy vibe and is right next to the pier. Beach and study sesh in one day? Sounds good to us!

5. Red Bee Coffee – Grover Beach

One of the cutest little coffee shops you ever will see. One of Grover Beach’s favorites, Red Bee is a coffee shop you must visit. It has tables for studying, and some of the best paninis and coffee around. What more do you need?

6. Rock Espresso Bar – Morro Bay

If you’re into breakfast (who isn’t?), you definitely need to check out Rock Espresso Bar in Morro. Breakfast burritos, bowls and sandwiches, oh my. Add in delicious coffee and, of course, plenty of study space (because that’s always important), and you’re good to go.

Gabby is a fourth-year Marketing and Statistics student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She's currently the Marketing & PR Director for HCCP, as well as a writer and editor. Her passions include consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, idealizing her life on Pinterest, and all things breakfast-related.