Culture > News

5 Websites For Learning More About The Democratic Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It can be overwhelming to keep up with all the news regarding the democratic candidates these days. With debates, rallies and caucuses happening, it can be difficult to stay up to date on what each candidate has to say. If you’re hoping to find some websites that can give you quick and easy-to-understand summaries and facts on the candidates, look no further.

1. FactCheck

Fact Check describes itself as a “nonpartisan, nonprofit ‘consumer advocate’ for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics.” The website is easy to navigate if you’re looking for a specific topic or person you want to learn more about in a neutral light.

2. Politico 

Politico’s “The Issues” lets you select each candidate and see their views on various topics such as climate change, healthcare and gun control. If you’re looking to learn more about each candidate’s thoughts on specific issues, this is an easy way to quickly get more information.

3. NPR 

NPR has a special series called “Tracking The Issues In The 2020 Election.” It breaks down issues the candidates are discussing, like eliminating the electoral college or enforcing the Green New Deal. Each section breaks down and explains the details of the topic you select, and there are graphics visually showing you what each candidate has to say. You can also check out The NPR Politics Podcast every weekday for updates on Washington and the campaign trail.

4. The Los Angeles Times

Climate change is a huge discussion topic right now, and if you want to know more about the candidates’ views on it, The Los Angeles Times wrote this article that explains each person’s opinions and the actions they want to take. This will help you figure out who aligns with your own viewpoints the most when it’s time to vote.

5. CNN 

Here you can click on each candidate and see how they’ve been standing in the polls and learn more about their personal life such as when they went to school or a brief history of their involvement with politics. If you scroll down CNN’s webpage, you’ll see a collection of times they’ve appeared in the news as well as their stances on several key issues. Still feeling a little lost? Check out these other Her Campus articles for even more information to guide you through the upcoming election. 

Kallyn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in Media Arts, Science and Technology. She is a writer for Her Campus Cal Poly and Mustang News. She enjoys exploring the San Luis Obispo area, horseback riding and attempting to cook with her roommates. She is a lover of (almost) all things music and (completely) all things dogs. After graduation, she hopes to work for a news station or a high-profile publication.