photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Ways You Can Help the Amazon Without Going Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With the Amazon on fire and news of other rainforests also in danger, there has been a push towards what we as individuals can do to help the environment. Especially on social media, there has been a lot of focus on going vegan and the idea that going vegan is the only way that we can make a difference. 

While we agree going vegan has an amazing impact on the environment, it is not the only way to be a conscientious consumer in this society. Here are 5 ways you can positively impact the environment.

Cut down on beef consumption

According to an article by CNBC, many of the fires in the Amazon were started to clear land for the cattle industry, and consuming less beef is an easy way to change the amount of cattle farmed in Brazil. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, Brazil was the world’s largest exporter of beef, providing close to 20 percent of the total global beef exports. Along with cutting down your beef consumption, you can encourage your friends to as well. 

Support conservation efforts

This can be done in many ways and does not always mean donating money. Make sure to look for sustainable products and meats when possible. Use certifications and ratings from the Forest Stewardship Council, the Rainforest Alliance and the World Wildlife Fund.

Reduce paper and wood consumption

Check to make sure to check the Rainforest Alliance website to ensure that what you are buying is rainforest safe. 

Make an effort to live more sustainably

With the decrease of large forests comes the increase of greenhouse gases, and there are things you can do to emit less greenhouse gases.  Drive less or drive a more fuel efficient car, plant trees, use less hot water and plant a tree. 

Educate yourself on the current state of the Amazon and tell your friends and family about it

According to the World Wildlife Fund, the Amazon holds 10 percent of the known species on Earth and those living in the Amazon have witnessed the environmental devastation. We need to speak out on the importance of this whether it be on social media or through a conversation.

Although going vegan is one way to live more sustainably, there are many other options to help the Amazon and even a small change can make a large impact.

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.