5 Ways to Use Argan Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Argan oil is one of the beauty world’s newest must-haves. It’s in everything from shampoo and conditioner to hair serum. In addition to these products, pure Argan oil can be used for any number of things. If you go to Sephora and ask a beauty insider about it, they’ll talk to you about Argan oil until their face is blue!

It was while talking to a beauty expert that the true magic of this oil really started to come to light; this new and simple addition to a beauty routine can make a world of difference! Though there are numerous things you can do with this magic oil, here are just a few ways to use it!

1. Facial moisturizer

Try wearing the oil alone or mixed with your moisturizer for clear, glowing skin. At night, three drops mixed with your moisturizer can help keep your skin dewy for the entire following day! If you use it alone, make sure to press it into your skin instead of rubbing, which helps skin absorb it faster — if you’re using it with your moisturizer, apply it normally. Though it isn’t scientifically proven yet, Argan oil is also rumored to help alleviate acne and wrinkles.

2. Body moisturizer

Have a dry spot on your hip or elbow? Argan oil is here to help! Use alone or mix a few drops with your body lotion for soft, supple skin with an added subtle glow. Make sure that if you use it with your lotion on your entire body, leave a few extra minutes to dry off because it can be sticky and greasy until it soaks in. Use directly after a body scrub for extra soft and glowing skin!

3. Foot balm

Add to your foot lotion for a powerful way to combat dry heels. Use after a heavy foot scrub or pumice stone session to help penetrate deep into your skin to make it even softer.

4. Hair serum

This solution can actually help your hair stay soft and tangle-free all day. The only problem is if you use too much, your hair can become lackluster and greasy. Make sure to use only in moderation on the bulk of your hair, completely avoiding your bangs if you have any. After a hot shower, rub 1-2 drops in your hands and run through your hair just before blow-drying. It’ll keep it soft, tangle-free and shiny all day long!

5. Bath oil

Add as many drops as you want along with a scented oil for a luxurious bath. After the relaxing bath, you won’t have to use any more oil in your moisturizer and your skin will still be velvety soft. Make sure that you don’t stay in the bath too long or else the moisturizing effect will be useless!

If you do buy Argan oil, make sure it’s cold-pressed. It not only works better since it is more concentrated, it also doesn’t have much of a smell and won’t leave your face red like other “natural” Argan oils can. Also, make sure Argan oil is the only ingredient in your product, since the other components can minimize the effect the oil has on your skin. My personal favorite is Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light ($48 at Sephora). After purchasing your own bottle, you’ll find tons of magical new uses for it!

Hi! I'm Juliet. I'm a third year journalism transfer student at Cal Poly!
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.