This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Fall is quickly approaching and all of our living spaces could use an upgrade to get us ready for the holiday season. It’s time to go find your new favorite fall decor! Nothing quite speaks October energy louder than cozy lighting, pumpkin scented candles, a cute wreath and blankets galore. 

Here are some tips on how to get your living space ready for the fall season.

Wreaths

If you are able to get one, wreaths are a cutest way to introduce your home, dorm or apartment to the world. In my personal living space, one of my roommates created a DIY wreath for our door. Everytime I arrive to the apartment, it feels so warm — so lively — before even stepping foot inside. Pinterest is a great place to start if you are feeling particularly artsy with lots of DIY crafted ideas — especially for the holidays! However, if you would just rather scour your favorite home store: Home Goods, Michaels or Kirklands, do it! Wreaths are such a quick way to add some fall-time feel. 

Candles

Who does not love the array of wondrous, heavenly scented Bath and Body Works candles that arrive during the pumpkin season? Candles are an easy, quick way to add some warm fall feelings to your home. Whether your place of choice is Target, Bath and Body Works or TJ Maxx — find the scent that calms your soul! Or if you aren’t an open-flame type of person, grab some incense or the wall plug-ins as an alternative. Pumpkin Spice is everything nice, right?

Lighting. Lighting. Lighting.

Everyone says it sets the mood. Try spicing up your place with some string lights or a cute lamps instead of harsh overhead lighting to set your mood for autumn. String lights can be hung anywhere — especially with handy command hooks. Lamps are an easy alternative to cozy up your favorite corner. 

Blankets and Pillows

Blankets and pillows are the necessities you need to curl up and spice up your home for the upcoming holiday season. Whether your preference is to stack your bed with as many cozy covers as possible or to treat your couch with a cute pumpkin pillow, we say go for it! During the holidays, a tradition my family has is to take out all our cute throw pillows to decorate the couch. Plus, the pillows are multi-use: aesthetically pleasing and practical. 

Decor — kitchenware, signs, figurines…

One of the best ways to create an inviting, warm space for the end of the year is to simply look around TJMaxx, Target and Michaels for all things related to fall season! Peruse the sections designated for fall — little plates, pumpkin statues, signs with catchy sayings. Little knick-knacks are finds you can keep for years to come, providing some fun as each fall comes around. It is relatively easy to find a cute piece for a side table, a desk, a counter, or empty wall. Whatever suits your fancy, we suggest to go find it! 

Fall brings an exciting thrill as the air begins to chill! Find how you want to define your holiday season, and rock it however you choose.

Taylor Eldridge

Cal Poly '21

Taylor is currently a second year (junior) student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in English with a minor in Psychology. Besides HerCampus, many of her interests are diversified; she is either exercising, listening to music (probably both, simultaneously), or spending time with my family and friends. Taylor is also a part of the Fitness & Nutrition Team through Campus Health & Wellbeing.