5 Ways to Show People You Love them Without Expensive Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Although gift-giving may not be the essence of the holiday season for everybody, if you’re anything like me, you look forward to showering the people you love with affection and gifts. This can be hard, though, when you have limited money available for you to spend. 

However, there are so many ways to show the people that you love them without spending a ton of money, and these gifts can sometimes be even more meaningful. We have compiled a list of five gifts that you could give your loved ones that are relatively inexpensive, but still meaningful.

Image via Giphy

Write them a Letter

Maybe someone you care about has a love language of words of affirmation; this means they want you to tell them explicitly that you love them and that you appreciate them. A gift to people with this love language could be as simple as a heartfelt, thoughtful letter. You could even pair this with their favorite candy or treat–some sweetness to match your sweet words.

Plan a Day that Involves all their Favorite Things

This is a special way to gift someone whose love language is quality time, who values a fun day with you more than anything that could be tied in a bow. Plan a day with them where you can do all of their favorite things. You can take them to brunch, go on their favorite hike, watch their favorite movie, and so much more. Your presence and attention will let them know they are loved.

Cook Them a Meal or Bake Their Favorite Treat (and then clean after!)

For those who feel appreciated through acts of service, a perfect gift to them could be something like making them dinner, baking for them, cleaning for them, etc. These are the “show, don’t tell” kind of people who feel and give love through acts of service. This is an especially good gift idea for parents who do nothing but give to us, cook for us, clean for us out of love, where we can do a similar service in return.

Go Thrifting for their Gift

Not only is thrift shopping super trendy right now, but it can also also very affordable, which is great for giving gifts to people whose love language is receiving gifts. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they want lots of “stuff,” but it’s more so that they are touched by the act of giving, rather than the gift itself. Thrift shopping requires a lot of time spent sifting through the items, eliciting your care. If you’re willing to take the time you can find some amazing gifts that will be both affordable and meaningful to the person receiving it.

Make DIY Gifts

DIY gifts can be meaningful to multiple love languages, as taking the time and energy to make something is an act of service, a way of gift-giving, and it can emulate physical touch, which is the hardest love language to reach through a gift. However, by putting your energy into making something that came directly from you and your hands can be meaningful to the person it’s for. This is especially true if they live far away because it is a piece of you and your affection.

We hope this article helped you find ways to show your people how loved and appreciated they are. The Holidays are a very special time of the year where you can spread kindness and love, and you don’t need a ton of money to do it!

Emily Gassaway

Cal Poly '21

I am a second-year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a minor in Child Development.