5 Ways to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Fall is finally showing its face in San Luis Obispo, but it’s also midterm week. We have to make that hard decision to go to either the pumpkin patch or the library. With all of your thoughts revolving around midterms, it can be easy to get caught up and overwhelmed. So take a break and look at these five ways to love yourself so you can embrace the fall and start feeling happier.

1.    Let go of the things you can’t change and focus on those you can.

Rushing from the library, to class, to your other activities can leave you feeling rushed, so take a few minutes each day to focus on the bigger picture. If you feel yourself starting to get overwhelmed, think through it. Spend your energy on things that you can control, like your own habits. Loving yourself means focusing on yourself so you can succeed.

2.    Make a list.

Unlike to-do lists and homework sheets, this list is different. Pull out a pen (or a handful of colorful pens) and make a list of everything that makes you happy. Write down random things, like sunflowers or sheep. This is an important list–whenever you are feeing down, you can pull it out. Live happily by reminding yourself of the things you love.

3.    Do something random.

As a college student, it is easy to get into a comfortable routine and more or less stick to the same thing every day. I challenge you to do something random today. Go study in the arboretum, find a new coffee shop or cook something you’ve never tried before. If you feel like you’re in a rut, work on getting out of it by trying something you wouldn’t normally do. You can love yourself by finding new things to make you happy.   

4.    Step outside of your comfort zone.

There is nothing like the feeling of trying something new for the first time and loving it. A few weeks ago, I attended a Poly Escapes surfing trip. I had never surfed before, and consequently spent most of the weekend catching tiny waves. However, it ended up being something I would love to try again. Step out of your comfort zone and do that one thing you’ve always wanted to try.

5.    Focus on your happiness.

Do what makes YOU happy. There is not much to say about this except don’t let other people tell you what you want or how to live. In the end, you have to deal with the decisions you make, so be sure you are happy with them.

If none of these work for you,  take a look at this video. It helped me while writing this article and I think it will help you too! 

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8