5 Ways to Celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With the coronavirus pandemic around the world, we understand so many people are impacted.Whether one of your major events got canceled, you were planning on graduating in the spring or were just really looking forward to attending spring quarter with all of your friends, this situation isn’t ideal for anyone. Just remember this is a big change for everyone and this is the safest option for yourself and your community. So, try to hang in there with social distancing or sheltering in place.

Even with limited human interaction, you can still have a fun Saint Patrick’s Day Celebration. Here are 5 ways to stay safe during COVID-19, but still celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.

Get Cooking

There is always the classic corn beef and hash meal but you can also get creative. Turn your favorite pasta dish or sugar cookies green or even make some rice crispy treats out of Lucky Charms.

Get Crafty

Take this opportunity to make all of the cute DIY things you’ve always wanted to, but never had the time too. Take a trip down to your local craft store or use items from home and get crafting!

Decorate

If you aren’t fully in the spirit, decorate your home with cute Saint Patrick’s Day finds. Make it a family, or roommate, activity to get everyone involved. 

Spend Quality Time with Friends and Family

Have a small get together with your friends and family and spend some time with them playing games or watching movies. Regardless if you are sheltered in place or not, it is important to spend time with those close to you.

Take Some Time for Yourself

While the current situation is far from ideal, take advantage of some of the new free time you have. Go on a hike and enjoy nature, binge watch TV, do a face mask and relax. Whatever form of self care works best for you, do it because you deserve it. 

Remember while online classes and sheltering in place are not ideal, it is for the health and safety of everyone. Take this opportunity to rejuvenate after a hard quarter and enjoy some quality time with loved ones. Don’t forget to add a little Saint Patrick’s Day touch to whatever you are doing.

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.
Hi I'm Lauren! I am the Campus Correspondent at Cal Poly, SLO. I am studying journalism and hope to have a career in TV broadcasting. When I'm not running around campus with a camera interviewing people, you can find me watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. I LOVE anything beauty or skincare related and I'm always looking for new makeup products! Follow me to see makeup looks, sunset pictures in SLO and all my friends! (Oh and I have some funny tweets too!)