This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Congratulations to all of the new Mustangs who were recently admitted to Cal Poly! After an amazing Open House weekend we are so excited for you all to join the community. Now that you have decided that Cal Poly is going to be your home for the next few years, here are some of the best things to look forward to in the coming months.

Orientation

Cal Poly’s orientation program is the number one program in the nation, and consists of SLO Days in the summer and Week of Welcome (WOW) right after you move in. Both of these programs are exciting opportunities to meet new people and get a feel for the campus. Come with an open mind and be ready to try new things.  You never know, you could end up meeting your new best friends!

New Friends

Moving into your residence hall comes with many new experiences, one of which is getting the opportunity to live with an entire hall of new friends. Many of the people living with you will have similar goals and interests, so take advantage of this and get to know the people that will be your support system all year long.   

The Beach

Along with settling into campus life you will also get the opportunity to experience all that SLO has to offer, such as beautiful beaches near campus. You can explore Avila Beach, Pirates Cove and Pismo Beach, all located less than 20 minutes from Cal Poly.

Hikes

You can also look forward to the beautiful hikes in SLO. Some are even right on campus! The “P” is located right behind the red brick residence halls and Architecture Graveyard past Poly Canyon Village. There are also many off campus hikes, some of the most popular being Bishop’s peak and Madonna Mountain.

Trying new things

There are so many opportunities to find a place where you belong. It is just a matter of trying new things! Try a few different clubs or intramural sports, rush and get out of your comfort zone to meet people. Don’t be afraid to try it all. 

There are so many things to look forward to at Cal Poly and as long as you go in with a positive attitude, you’re sure to find something you enjoy. 

All images via giphy 

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.