5 Things to Do in SLO to Have the Ultimate Relaxing Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the new quarter rolls in and classes start to pick up, things can start to get a little hectic. Between classes, homework, tests and responsibilities, it’s sometimes hard to find the time to lay back and do something that we truly enjoy and relaxes us. However, when that day finally comes around where your homework load is unusually light, you don’t have a test to study for, or you just need a way to procrastinate, check out this list of things you can do in order to have the ultimate relaxing day!

1. Go to Montaña de Oro

If you haven’t been to Montaña de Oro yet then you are definitely missing out on one of the most beautiful state parks in the world. Montaña de Oro translates to “Mountain of Gold” and was named so because of the beautiful golden flowers that line the jagged sea cliffs during the spring. You can enjoy secluded beaches, stunning cliff views, canyons, hills, hiking paths, streams and peaks at Montaña de Oro. So whether your idea of relaxing is sitting on a quiet beach watching the waves crash against the rocks or hiking up mountains to see spectacular views then Montaña de Oro may be the perfect way to have a relaxing day for you.

2. Rent a hillside hot tub at Sycamore Mineral Springs

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa is a resort tucked away in the hillside of Avila. The resort features naturally heated mineral hot tubs nestled in the dense green hills which are available to rent all year around. The hot tubs can be rented by the hour for $15 a person during the week or $20 a person on the weekend. The small hillside hot tubs can accommodate up to eight people while their Oasis Waterfall Lagoon can accommodate up to 30 people, so you can definitely bring your friends along for a relaxing hot springs day!

3. Get a massage or facial at a spa

While facials and massages are usually a little pricey, it doesn’t hurt to splurge every once in a while. There are various spa locations in SLO and each varies in price and services. The Spa at the Madonna Inn offers different massage packages like the Madonna Mini Focus Massage or facials such as the Madonna Signature Facial which range from $75 to $150. Other spas like SLOCO Massage and Wellness Spa range from $70 to $120 depending on the type of service you’d like to get. 

4. Get your nails done 

Whenever we’re stressed or just have a lot on our plates, having freshly painted nails is definitely the last thing we’re thinking about. However, finding the time to slow down and go to a nail salon can definitely improve your mood and overall aesthetic. Choose a vibrant nail color to brighten up your mood or a cool refreshing neutral to put your mind at ease. Either way, your new manicure is surely going to brighten up your day. 

5. Go to a winery

Sadly, you do have to be 21 to enjoy many of the great wineries we have here in SLO and the surrounding Paso Robles area. If you are old enough to partake in the beautiful wineries in the area, don’t hesitate to treat yourself to a relaxing wine tasting or beautiful picnic at one of the many locations we’re blessed to have.  SLO is home to many small family-owned wineries as well as some of the larger well-known wineries such as Tolosa and Biddle Ranch. 

We all work so hard as college students so finding the time to reward ourselves every once in a while is something that is difficult but well deserved. Not to mention, the beautiful scenery and laid back atmosphere of SLO make for a necessary and relaxing day!  

Isabella is a San Diego native and is currently in her first year at Cal Poly. Besides her love for her three dogs, a German Shepherd, a Chihuahua and a French Bulldog (impressive I know), she also loves sushi and online window shopping. Isabella is also a computer engineering major and enjoys learning about and keeping up with the latest technologies. In her free time you can catch Isabella sipping on tea (especially a milk tea with boba) or enjoying a plate of her favorite sushi.