5 Things to do During President’s Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

In the midst of President’s Day Weekend, we’ve compiled some fun activities so you can be sure to make the most of this mid-quarter break. It’s been six weeks since winter break, so we hope you can enjoy your much needed time off!

1. Go Home for the Weekend

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

We’re sure you miss your hometown after coming back after winter break! You can go home for the long weekend and spend time with family and friends that you may not see again until Spring Break. Depending on where you live, you can do a multitude of things with family or friends! We also know you may miss your pets back home too, so if you go home for the weekend, you can spend a bunch of time with them!

2. Go on a Short Trip with Friends

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Get a group of friends together and rent an AirBnB somewhere near SLO and have fun! You could go to the mountains, beach or even neaby cities like Santa Barbara or San Francisco for a day trip. Delegate different tasks between your friends such as who will be paying for housing or if you will go camping, who’s buying food, who’s driving, who’s bringing entertainment and anything else you can think of.

3. Binge a Series

Photo by Jens Kreuter on Unsplash

A lot of us have had to put our winter break TV series binges on hold because of the new quarter. But with an extra day off over the weekend, you can set aside a chunk of time to watch a new series you saw on Netflix or Hulu or continue something you started over winter break. Not interested in starting a new series? Try having a movie marathon with the Harry Potter movies or another line of movies you love.

4. Have a Get Together with Friends

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Invite all of your friends over to have a little get together! You can do anything from a potluck to a movie night to baking together. It will give you all a chance to catch up with each other, especially if you haven’t been able to because of the hectic quarter. 

5. Get on the Grind

Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash

Not all of us can easily escape school. If you’re one of these people, don’t worry! You can use your long weekend to either get ahead or catch up on homework and studying. You can even make a day out of it. Go to your favorite coffee shop or anywhere else you like to study, treat yourself to a drink or snack, and work! Once you feel like you’ve made enough progress, you can go treat yourself to one of these other ideas. 

We hope you’re able to incorporate some of these ideas into your long weekend and enjoy it to the fullest. 

I am a fourth year English major at Cal Poly. I love reading as many books as I can, and it's rare to catch me without one. When I'm not reading, I'm scrolling through social media or hanging out with friends.