How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

That “time of the month” is dreaded by many people who have periods. Having to worry about period products and mood swings is enough already, but on top of that, around 71% of people with periods experience period pain, according to the Journal of Women’s Health. Luckily, if you are in that 71%, there are lots of ways you can reduce or eliminate pain without even leaving your house. 

Heat

Heat can be very effective in reducing period cramps, and can be used in many different ways. You can use a heating pad, hot water bottle, or make your own heating device! Try taking a long sock, stuff it with rice, and tie or sew it at the end. Then, you can microwave it and lay it on your abdomen whenever you need it. 

Essential Oils

Using essential oils, especially in a massage, can be helpful. This study describes the positive effects of gently rubbing essential oils into your abdomen to help with cramping and pelvic pain during your period. 

Drink Herbal Tea

Drinking herbal tea can reduce menstrual cramps, nausea, and other symptoms, according to a 2016 study. Some varieties to try are peppermint, chamomile, ginger, and fennel tea. 

Light Exercise

While exercising may be far down on the list of things you want to do while on your period, it can be very helpful! A study of doing yoga during your period found that most participants experienced lower levels of pain than usual. 

Helpful Foods

We constantly hear about how important it is to drink water for a variety of reasons, and those include feeling better during your period. Healthline.com also suggests that eating fruit, leafy green vegetables, ginger, yogurt, dark chocolate, and more can be beneficial. 

Period pain can be awful, but hopefully these tips can help you get through it a little more easily!

Emi Nishida is a fourth year English major with Linguistics and Child Development minors from Irvine, California. She serves as Editor in Chief for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Other than writing, her passions include music, dance, romcoms, anything arts & crafts, and exploring the outdoors.