5 Simple and Delicious Holiday Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And with that comes all the delicious goodies of the holidays. I mean “marshmallows for roasting,” “chestnuts roasting on an open fire” and “I brought some corn for popping”… even all the holiday songs talk about yummy treats! This holiday season you may have a few holiday parties to attend, or may even host your own, so these snacks are a must! All of these treats are simple to make, but are so delicious!

1. Peanut Butter Ritz Cracker “Cookies”

I swear these things taste just like the chocolate covered peanut butter Girl Scout cookies.

You will need 3 ingredients:

1) Ritz crackers

2)  Jar of peanut butter

3) Chocolate candy melts

Take 2 Ritz crackers and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on one cracker and place the other cracker on top. Repeat this process until all Ritz crackers have been assembled. Next, melt the chocolate. You will now dip the Ritz peanut butter sandwiches into the chocolate one by one. For this step I like to use a fork to dip them so it is easier for excess chocolate to run off. Then place the chocolate dipped Ritz crackers onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow chocolate to set. Yum!

2. Caramel Turtles

You know the turtles that you buy from the candy store? Well, same concept, only easy to make and inexpensive!

For this recipe you will need only 3 ingredients:

1) Pretzels

2) Rolo candies

3) Halved pecans

First thing’s first; line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Line the cookie sheet with your pretzels. Next, place one Rolo on each pretzel. Now, place the cookie sheet in a preheated oven (350 degrees!) and leave them for about 2-3 minutes. You just want the Rolo to get soft. (Do not let the Rolo melt!) After you take them out of the oven, quickly press a pecan half on top of the softened Rolo. Allow them to set, and there you go!

3. Christmas Crack

I am not entirely sure why it received this name, but it could be due to the fact that this treat is super addicting!

For this recipe, you will need 4 ingredients:

1) 1 cup unsalted butter

2) 1 cup brown sugar

3) 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

4) Saltine crackers

Start by lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Next, line the cookie sheet with your saltine crackers and set it aside. Melt the brown sugar and butter on the stovetop until a boil is reached. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Now, pour the caramel mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. After removing the pan from the oven, sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt, and then spread them into an even layer. Allow it to cool completely, and then break it into pieces like a brittle. Enjoy!

4. Candy Cane Pops

Looking for a special treat to give out to all of your friends? This might be for you!

For this recipe you will need:

1) Small candy canes

2) Lollipop sticks

3) White candy coating (like CandiQuik)

First, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. On the cookie sheet, arrange the candy canes in heart formations with the lollipop stick in the center of them. Bake them at 300 degrees for 3 minutes. You do not want to melt them; simply make them malleable. After you take them out of the oven, you will then shape them more into hearts. Be careful! They will be hot! You will need to work quickly. Don’t worry, though. If they harden up on you, or if you don’t like how they are shaped, just pop them back in the oven. Then melt the candy coating and spoon some in the middle of the candy cane heart. Allow it to set. If you want, you can even decorate them with sprinkles. You can also wrap them individually in cute goodie bags to give out!

5. Oreo Truffles

I love Oreos. I love chocolate truffles. And the two of them just sound wonderful together.

You will need:

1)  A package of regular Oreos

2) 1 package of softened cream cheese

3) White candy melts

4) Crushed peppermint for decoration (optional)

First, finely crush Oreos. You can do this by putting the Oreos in a large Ziploc bag and crushing them with a rolling pin. Pour the crushed Oreos in a mixing bowl and add the softened cream cheese. Combine the ingredients well. Scoop out a mixture from the bowl and form 1 inch rounds and line them on a cookie sheet. Next, freeze them for about 10 minutes so they firm up. Now, melt the white candy melts and dip the firm rounds into the melted candy. Return them to the cookie sheet, and if you so choose, sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top. Allow them to set, and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy these delicious holiday treats and that they become a new tradition for you! Happy holidays!

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.