This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Porn. It’s everywhere in this world we live in, a world where sex sells. It’s in our movies, on our computers and most likely on our partners’ minds. Where it’s not, but definitely should be according to studies, is in the bedroom. 

Porn is commonly thought of as a private indulgence, a secret alone time activity or just plain taboo, when really it could be an experience that couples use to enhance their relationship. 

It has to be noted, however, the significant difference in the rates at which heterosexual men and women view porn. According to recent studies, women are twice as likely to report never watching porn, while men are 42 times as likely to report watching porn weekly. The subsequent unfamiliarity many women have with porn can create insecurities in relationships and about what’s expected in the bedroom. 

We have to realize that porn may be something that brings us closer to our partners rather than separating us. Here’s five ways watching porn with your partner can improve your sex life and, overall, your relationship.

Building Trust

Doing anything with your partner can create a bonding experience, and watching porn is no different. Many women report feeling insecure about their partner’s porn habits, citing it as a form of betrayal or disrespect. Viewing it together, however, forces both people to be open and honest with each other. 

For those that might feel uncomfortable with the idea of having to open up about your porn preference, that’s totally normal! For those curious, however, porn can be a fun way to build some confidence with a partner and gain some added closeness.

Learning More About Your Partner

Depending on how long you’ve been with your partner, you might know every single kinky detail of their sexual fantasies, or you might be afraid to even broach the subject. In either case, exploring porn with your partner can allow you to find out what they’re into, or see them discover things they didn’t even know they liked.

While picking porn to watch with a partner should be a group effort, allowing them to occasionally show you what they normally watch can offer useful insight into what turns them on.

Explore Your Own Sexuality

On the other hand, porn can also help you learn more about yourself. For those new to watching porn, exploring it with a partner can help both of you figure out what turns you on. Sex is about having fun and finding what you like, and doing that with a partner can only bring you closer together. 

Not all of us see ourselves as being overtly sexual beings, but exploring that side of ourselves through porn with a partner can create a comfortable environment to embrace it. Having that secondary source of stimulation can take some of the pressure off and give you space to become comfortable with your sexual side. The more comfortable we are, the more confidence we gain, and nothing is sexier than confidence.

Even if you already have a good sense of your sexual side, you never know what might spark you and your partner’s interest! 

Spice Up Your Foreplay

Good sex starts with good foreplay, and porn can be great way to get creative with it. For couples that have been together long, it can break up routine foreplay. Even for those who don’t find their sex becoming a routine, watching porn with a partner can give you ideas for new ways to turn each other on. Figuring out creative foreplay habits together also fosters a greater sense of intimacy with your partner.

Create an Honest Dialogue About Sex

Overall, having good, healthy sex is about communicating, and watching porn together can push a couple to do just that. From talking about what to watch to deeper questions about what each other finds sexy, porn can start a conversation about sex that any intimate couple can benefit from. It can break any awkward tension for those insecure about sex, and give an open channel of discussion about any expectations partners may have for each other. 

Even for sexually open couples, porn can still help maintain an open discussion about sex and how to make it the most pleasurable for each other.

Despite porn still being seen as taboo by many, or aimed more towards men, anyone can enjoy it within their relationship. The best way to make this work is with trust and communication between partners, as is true for anything sex related. It might bring up some discomfort or insecurities, but working through those issues only leaves room for building intimacy. 

Comment below if these were helpful!

Hi, I'm Daytona and I'm a 3rd year journalism major. I love all things beauty and self care related. When I'm not in class or at work, I'm finding new ways to change up my look or go to the beach with my friends.