5 Reasons to Exercise Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With swimsuit season coming up, there is no question that many girls are feeling pressured to start hitting the gym to achieve her desired bikini body. But what if I told you that there are numerous compelling reasons to exercise that have nothing to do with your physical appearance? Here are five reasons to exercise right now:

1. You’ll relieve stress

Stress is very common among college students. If you’re feeling overwhelmed about your schoolwork, exercise! Studies have shown that exercise eliminates cortisol (a stress hormone) from your body.

2. You’ll sleep better

Having trouble falling asleep at night? No need to worry about sleeping pills! Exercise works as an all-natural, free sleeping pill. It’s perfect for a tight collegiate budget!

3. You’ll improve your mood

Ever wonder how the phrase “runner’s high” came to be? Exercise releases endorphins into the body making you happier!

4. You’ll be healthy

Many of the health benefits that come from exercising are not limited to physical appearance. For example, exercising reduces blood pressure, the chances of getting cancer and the risk of heart attacks.

5.  You’ll improve your memory

When you exercise you are proving your brain with more energy and oxygen, thus improving your memory and aiding your brain’s ability to learn.

So what are you waiting for, collegiate? Get out there and get moving! Your body and mind will thank you.

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu