self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Positive Ways Quarantine Can Change Your Outlook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Change is always difficult and the shelter-in-place order was a drastic change. Since then, many people have been searching for a sense of normalcy. However, this stressful time is an opportunity for self-reflection and to recognize what we took for granted in our daily lives. Here are five ways to use quarantine to positively impact your outlook on life.

Recognize that at the end of the day, your health is the most important

Health is the number one priority and during such a stressful time, doing typical tasks may be even more difficult.  Whether you are stressed about school, not landing that job, or the small things in life, it is essential to remind yourself that your health is the framework of your existence and you need to take care of yourself. The quarantine has taught us to be grateful for good health (for those of us not sick), and to spread love and positive thoughts to those around us who are affected.

Cherish time spent with those around you

While some of us might be quarantining with family or friends, not everyone may be so lucky. Take advantage of being home with family or with roommates. If you know someone is livign by themself, try to reach out and possibly make a new friend along the way. If you can, try to make the most out of the situation you are in and be grateful for the time you have with those around you.

Use this time to create goals & new hobbies

It may be difficult to stick to a schedule without much structure during the day. Try to create new goals and invest time into some new hobbies. Whether it is writing goals in a journal, trying out a new workout form of physical activity, cooking more or taking time for yourself The options are endless, so find something that suits your interests. If finding a new hobby isn’t for you, binge-watching Netflix episodes and taking more naps is fine too! #Selfcare

Give back to those around you 

With many people struggling to put food on the table and keep their businesses alive, those who have the ability should take the opportunity to give back to their communities.  Use this time to donate clothes, bring groceries to family and neighbors and show compassion for those around you. Any act of kindness, no matter how big or small, can make a difference in someone’s life.

Remember that this is only temporary

Instead of getting down about living  life a bit different, remember that this time is only temporary. How often do we get the opportunity to take a break? We are all in this situation together and once places begin opening up, the busy lifestyle will start up again. Whether you’re planning lunch dates with friends, getting your nails done, taking yoga classes or anything else,  there is so much to look forward to!

Quarantine has put things into perspective for us all. It is important to do your part and obey your state guidelines. Even though this may be a difficult time, seeing the positivity in the situation could bring some positivity to everyone’s life after quarantine is over. 

Lauren is a third-year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo studying Journalism on the Public Relations track. At Cal Poly, Lauren is involved in Her Campus, the Public Relations Student Society of America, an employee of Shakesmart and also serves as the event coordinator for her sorority. In her free time, she loves spending time with her family and friends and running. She is passionate about writing and cannot wait to share some of her insight on Her Campus!