5 Myths About Feminists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As a proud feminist, hearing untrue facts about feminism can be disheartening. So, for my sake and yours, I have taken this opportunity to clear up some myths about feminism.

1. Feminists quench their thirst by drinking men’s tears.

First off, tears are salty. If anything, this would contribute to a feminist’s thirst. I really shouldn’t have to spell this out for you.

On a serious note, the stereotype feminists hate men is stupid.

Repeat after me, feminists do not hate men.

Feminists are not interested in taking away rights from men.

Feminists are interested in having are equal rights for all genders. Get it? Got it? Good.

Also, logistically, how would one manage to collect enough male tears to fill a water glass? I’m asking for a friend.

2. Feminists burn bras.

If I’m going to spend $40 on a bra, there’s no way in hell I’m going to burn it. That’s not radical, that’s just wasteful.

However, if you choose not to wear a bra, that’s awesome. The same goes for not shaving and/or not wearing makeup. That being said, choosing to remove your body hair and/or using cosmetics does not make you any less of a feminist. Trust me, Sephora is one of my favorite places in the entire world.

Just do what you are comfortable with and try not to let societal standards push you in one direction or the other.

3. Feminists listen exclusively to Bikini Kill.

Sometimes we’ll throw in some Sleater-Kinney and occasionally, if we feel particularly hip, some songs off the new St. Vincent album. Oh and Beyoncé, but that kind of goes without saying.

4. Feminist wear cloaks, ride brooms and have black cats as their animal familiars.

Those are witches. What you’re thinking of are witches. Common mistake, I guess.

5. Feminists are killjoys.

If calling people out on their problematic behavior makes me a wet blanket, so be it. I’d rather I am viewed as a nag than let disparaging remarks about marginalized people slide.

And honestly, if ranting about culture appropriation while painting watercolors of Gloria Steinem and microwaving pizza rolls (not gender roles), doesn’t sound like your ideal Friday night, I don’t want to hang out with you anyway.

I am a 3rd year English here at Cal Poly. I have a passions for all things pop culture, dogs and feminism.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8