5 Must-Try Restaurants in SLO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

By Dana Rao

San Luis Obispo offers a variety of delicious foods. However, choosing where to eat is always a difficult decision. If you’re entering your freshmen year or you’re just visiting in SLO, check these restaurants out. They’re locally owned restaurants unique to the central coast.

1.)  Splash Café

Source

Source

Splash Cafe offers a variety of different foods, from breakfast to fish tacos.  However, most locals come for the Clam Chowder (in a bread bowl!)  The soup is creamy and very flavorful. They also have amazing baked goods such as fortune cookies, croissants, cake, muffins, varieties of baked breads (they have samples at the front) and more. You may feel guilty eating so many carbs, but the quality makes it all worth it.

Not only is this place known for its food, but the atmosphere of Splash Cafe is a hit with the tourists and college students alike.  The beach painting interior gives off a relaxed vibe, while the employees are extremely friendly and provide great customer service.  The prices are not too bad either (i.e. affordable for college students), making Splash one of the less expensive places to eat in SLO.

2.)  Goshi

Source

Coming from a “foodie,” Goshi is one of the best sushi/Japanese restaurants in town. They have different fish specials every week (tuna belly is the best!) and an assortment of yummy rolls.  If you’re not really into sushi, they also offer cooked food with big proportions.  I recommend the Yakiniku Don, which has a great sweet sauce.  If you want sushi, try the half and half rolls. As picture above, you can combine two different rolls to taste a variety of flavors (salmon and avocado and the albacore with the garlic chips.)  The only downside is the price, around $15-$20 per dish. Goshi also has great customer service and treat you well regardless of age. However, if you’re planning to visit, call to make a reservation because they’re usually packed.

3.)  Thai Boat

Source

I am a huge fan of Thai food and I have found that Thai Boat is the best Thai restaurant in SLO.  I have also been to Thailand, and their flavors resemble the authentic dishes.  Their curry has a great combination of coconut milk and curry flavor, which is just impeccable served over jasmine rice!  They also offer many other dishes such as Pad Thai and Pad See Ew (both dishes I recommend). If you haven’t tried Thai iced tea before or are looking for a local source, check this place out!  Thai Boat is always busy and they don’t open very often, so make sure to call for a reservation.

4.)  Sally Loo’s Wholesome Cafe

Source

Source

Sally Loo’s is a great option for students who enjoy a healthy breakfast. If you’re looking for organic or vegan options, this place is also for you. Regardless, this place still has amazing food. They do not provide huge proportions, but just enough to keep you full for several hours. They are also well known for the acai bowls, belgian waffles and fresh brewed coffee. This restaurant can be costly ($8-$14) but you’ll feel energized by the fresh ingredients in your great meal. Additionally, if you’re looking for a great place to study, stop by before 9 a.m. to snag a table.

5.)  Eureka

Source

Eureka has the juiciest burgers and best fries in town. It also has one of the best social atmospheres, because the modern decor of the restaurant and perfect dining layout makes talking with your friends ideal. Eureka has a bar in the back and a second story that oversees the whole restaurant. Their decent pricing for burgers ($10-$14)  also come with a handsome amount of fries. They even have their own house made ketchup! If you want, you can also exchange the fries with onion rings, sweet potato fries or a salad.  They are usually busy, but you can just meander around downtown while you’re waiting for your table. They will send you a text when the table is ready!

Give these places a try–you won’t regret it!

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu