This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s face it: most of the time, long distance sucks. If you’re missing your partner, holidays like Valentine’s Day can sometimes make you feel even worse. But while nothing can replace having that special person with you, here are a few fun ideas for your long-distance valentine. 

Send Them a Care Package

Gifts are a great way to show someone you care, and there are lots of ways to get creative with this for long-distance! You can send them a cute decorated box filled with things that remind you of your relationship. Some things you could include are open when letters, pictures of the two of you, something of yours to remind them of you, flowers, or any chocolate or candies they like. This is a great way to show them you care, and even surprise them!

Dinner & a Movie

Perhaps the most common date, dinner and a movie is something you can still enjoy from afar! For dinner, find a restaurant near your significant other that does delivery and order them some food, and have them do the same for you! You could even choose some place that has locations near both of you and order the same thing or cook a meal over the phone. Then, log in to Netflix, Disney+, use a google extension like Scener, or hop on a zoom call to share a movie and meal together. 

Game Night

Virtual game nights are simple and there are so many options! Check out this list for 2-player games you can download on the app store or visit Backyard to play and video call all from the same browser. Another fun activity now available online is an escape room, which you can enjoy the challenge of solving together! For deepening your connection, you can also play We’re Not Really Strangers, a game that asks truly personal questions. All you need is for one person to own the game and read the questions aloud.  

Make Some Art

Turn your room into an art studio as you follow a tutorial together, learning to paint from Bob Ross or drawing your favorite characters with the Disney Animation Studio! Or, you could try to draw portraits of one another and send each other your finished masterpieces to display.

Watch the Sunset / Stars

Sunsets and stargazing can be very romantic, and no matter where you are in the world, you are both looking up at the same sky. If you’re in the same time zone, consider both going outside to watch the sunset together, and if you’re apart, you can watch the stars later in the night or get two sunsets! 

It may be hard now, but remember that distance can make the heart grow fonder. The most important thing is not distance, but finding ways to show one another how much you care. Happy Valentines Day to all the lovers out there, wherever you are. We hope you find a way to celebrate apart, together!

Emi Nishida is a fourth year English major with Linguistics and Child Development minors from Irvine, California. She serves as Editor in Chief for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Other than writing, her passions include music, dance, romcoms, anything arts & crafts, and exploring the outdoors.