free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Important Questions to Ask Recruiters at the Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We all know that Cal Poly students are smart, have high GPA’s and participate in a ton of extracurriculars, but what really differentiates you when selling yourself to recruiters at the career fair? It is the conversations you have with recruiters, and more importantly the insightful questions you ask, that make you stand out from the crowd.

There are so many questions out there that you can ask when the recruiters inquire, “So, do you have any questions for us?” While it might be easy to ask questions regarding what the company does or what internships are available, all of those questions have answers that could easily be found online. So, to make your day at the career fair a little less stressful, here are a couple questions you can have in your back pocket to distinguish yourself from others!

1. What does X mean for the company?

We all have a general idea of what a company might produce. For example, Apple produces iPhones and Cisco produces software. But to impress recruiters, research certain trends that are not obvious to everyone unless they follow the company. For example, perhaps the company had changes in its stock prices and you have an opinion on how it will affect the company. When asking a question like this, ask for the recruiter’s opinion first and then offer your own.

2. What are the opportunities for advancement?

Recruiting and training is a large part of a company’s spending expenditure and for this reason they are looking for individuals who are looking to stay with the company for the long haul. Therefore, asking this question will show employers that you are interested in joining and staying with this company.

3. What types of training programs do you offer?

With technology constantly changing around us, it is important that we keep ourselves updated on recent trends. This concept also applies to companies because they want candidates that go the extra mile to learn something that is not offered in the coursework at school. This will show recruiters that you intend to increase your skillset for the benefit of the company.

4. What do you enjoy most about working for this company?

One of the main reasons that people enjoy working for a company is because of the people they work with and the environment they work in. Asking this question will allow you to get a glimpse into the life of an employee at that company, a perspective you won’t get unless you talk to someone. Additionally, while you are conversing, it is possible that both of you hit on a common point and start having the personal connection with them.

5. May I contact you for further questions?

Though this might not be the ideal question to ask EVERY recruiter or employee, it is important to keep it at the back of your mind. If you think you have a personal connection with the recruiter and you believe they have a strong and positive perception of you, it might be an ideal time to get their contact information. However, if the recruiter does not feel comfortable giving you their contact information, do not take it personally and thank them for their time.

Career fairs can be intimidating for everyone because we want all of our conversations to be perfect with recruiters. However, at the end of the day, it’s important to be yourself and always remember that the recruiters are here to learn about you!

I am a second year Business Major at Cal Poly SLO! When I'm not procrastinating about midterms or homework, I love watching the Ellen Show, watching Tasty videos on Youtube and hanging out with friends.