Sunglasses graphic
Sunglasses graphic
Canva
Style

5 Fashion Trends to Follow DIY Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

This past year has brought out creativity in many people, and I hope this is something that will continue long after the pandemic. Creativity opens the door for so many cool new ideas and trends, and even allows you to follow trends with your own style. Listed below are five different fashion trends to follow DIY style. 

Phone Charm

Early 2000s trends have been making a comeback in the fashion world for awhile, and now our phones are no exception. Beaded phone charms are back and everywhere. You can find many celebrities such as Gigi Hadid and Dua Lipa sporting the new trend from a brand called String Ting. However, this trend is also possible DIY style. 

For this DIY trend you will need string and beads of your choice, be creative! To make the charm, cut a long piece of string, fold it in half, and tie a knot at the end. Next, string your beads and tie a knot at the other end when done. After this you may want to cut off any extra string, and then you will have your DIY phone charm. For reference this is a phone charm from String Ting. 

Clay Rings

Chunky Rings are another trend that has been very popular among celebrities, and a popular brand of these rings is La Manso. However, you can also create this trendy DIY style. One way to create these chunky rings is with polymer clay; you’ll also need clear nail polish and access to an oven or other type of heating method. 

To make a ring, first you’ll want to find a ring that already fits your finger and make an outline of it. Next, take the clay, warm it up in your hands, and then create a ring shape with the outline you made. This is also where you can get creative with ring designs, details, and colors. Then you have your finished rings, you’ll want to bake them in the oven.The recommended temperature is around 260 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. When your rings are done baking and have cooled off, you can add the clear nail polish for a finished look. For reference, these are clay rings made from the Instagram account Clay Ring

Patchwork Top

The patchwork top is a Pinterest trend that has been growing in popularity lately. To accomplish this trend DIY style, you will need at least three different colored blank tank tops, or however many colors you want for your top. You can find cheap tank tops for this at stores like Target or Walmart, or at your local thrift shop. Next you’ll want to cut the tops into whatever patchwork pattern you want. When cutting your pieces, layer the tops on top of one another so you can see how the pieces will line up and fit into one complete top. After you’re done cutting, you will sew the pieces together using a zig-zag stitch. You can even use different colored threads to add more uniqueness to your top. After you are done sewing you can hem the bottom of the top to give it a more finished look, and you have your patchwork top. For reference, this is a homemade patchwork top from the Instagram account Nuffin Wasted

Charm Earrings 

Similar to chunky rings, homemade earrings are another accessory that has become a huge fashion statement for any outfit. Charm earrings are a popular DIY earring style to make because you can use almost any charm to make your new favorite pair of earrings from. For this DIY trend you will need a set of charms, earring hooks, and jump rings, all of which you can find at any craft store. To make the earrings you will attach the open jump ring onto the charm of choice, and then attach the earring finding onto the ring as well and then close the ring. Repeat for the second earring, and you have your DIY pair of charm earrings. For reference these are homemade charm earrings from Instagram account Funky Plum

Safety Pin Top

The safety pin top is another trend that is very popular on Pinterest. It’s easy, stylish, and a great DIY clothing trend to start off with, because it doesn’t require any sewing. You’ll need safety pins and any top that you wish to use. Next, you’ll cut the top where you want the safety pins to go. Many times, you’ll see the shirt cut down the middle or on the sides. After cutting, you will safety pin where you cut the top. Now you have your trendy safety pin top. For reference, this is a safety pin top from Instagram account Art Soul HR

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.