This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s officially October which means fall is here and we can finally drink all the pumpkin spice lattes and eat all the pumpkin bread we want, even though we’ve been doing this since the beginning of September, but now we don’t have to feel guilty.

Yes, pumpkin spice screams fall, and it is undoubtedly a delicious and treasured seasonal favorite when it comes to sweets, treats and of course, coffee. But even so, there are so many other flavors that come out during this time of year that are overlooked amidst the pumpkin spice frenzy.

Here are 5 fall flavors that aren’t pumpkin spice:

Maple

This flavor is way too delicious to only be used with pancakes. It can be used in many fall treats, a common combination is maple pecan. There are many different varieties of coffee creamers in this flavor that come out during fall that you can add to your morning cup of joe or you can bake these delicious maple-oatmeal cookies with your friends and let the sweet smell of fall settle over your kitchen. 

Apple Spice

Apple Spice is a fall flavor that will warm you right up whether you consume it in the form of a caramel apple cider or a fresh-baked cinnamon apple bread.  It is perfect for those nights when the rain is pouring, the fire is glowing, and you’re wrapped up in the coziest blanket you can find. 

Chai

The next time you head to Starbucks for your pumpkin spice latte fix, try instead a chai latte. Its warm flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, and sweetness will perfectly compliment a cold day of classes.

Cinnamon

Despite cinnamon being a common spice all year, it is especially prominent during the colder seasons and it will always be a fall staple. If you are sick of pumpkin bread or apple infused desserts, try out this cinnamon roll bread pudding recipe when the inevitable sugar cravings hit during a cozy night in. 

Cranberry

Cranberry doesn’t immediately come to mind when you think of fall, but history shows that this fruit has been used traditionally during this season for many years. Think of the gorgeous red cranberry sauce that sits next to the turkey at Thanksgiving dinner and try to stop your mouth from watering. If you can’t wait until Thanksgiving for this combo, you can have it early by making this turkey cranberry sandwich for a more savory treat this season.

Try out some of these flavors this fall when you are cooking up some treats to get you in the mood for the season.

Emily Gassaway

Cal Poly '21

I am a second-year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a minor in Child Development.