This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

During the current breakout of COVID-19, it’s super important that we are following methods of social distancing and self-quarantining, but this ultimately is suuuuper boring. On the bright side, one quarantine-friendly activity is reading. How many times have we said to ourselves that we wished we had more time to read or we wish that we read more? This is a perfect time to pick up a book, especially to distract yourself from the chaos of this world right now. Here are some book recommendations that you can read if you find yourself bored or in need of a distraction. They also all have an audiobook companion if you prefer to read that way.

A Book For When you Want to Happy Cry

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

This book is about a grumpy, old man who prefers things to be a certain way. He believes strongly in his values and seems to loathe people who think the opposite. As the story unfolds you get glimpses into Ove’s heart and realize that his heart is bigger than it first appears. It’s a story about how this grumpy old man finds joy in sharing his life with people after his wife passes. It is sure to make you smile, cry, and remember all the good that exists inside of people. 

A Book For When you Want a Fun Rom-Com

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

This book is a classic rom-com with enemies turned lovers when the two main characters both end up on the same free vacation in Maui. Neither expected the other to be there, and neither is thrilled about it, but by an unlucky sequence of events the two have to pretend to be dating. It’s witty and endearing and will take your mind from quarantined at home to sunbathing in Maui. 

A Book About a Pandemic

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

This book is not for everyone during a time such as the one that we are in, but for some a book about a pandemic is a perfect fit for this pandemic-induced quarantine. This is a futuristic book about a pandemic that wiped out most of civilization. The story follows characters both present and past as they navigate an apocalyptic world. However the story is ultimately hopeful, as it follows a band of people who travel and perform Shakespeare plays in order to entertain people and keep civilization alive. 

A Book for When you Need a Thrill

Conviction by Denise Mina

This book is perfect for fans of true crime podcasts and true crime stories. After the main character’s life falls to pieces, she turns to the one thing she can always use to escape real life: true crime podcasts. Unfortunately, this fails for her, as she soon finds out that her past is connected to the story and that she knows what happened in the inconclusive podcast story. This book will definitely keep you on your toes and you can follow in suit of the main character because like she says, other people’s problems are better than your own.

A Book that is Timeless

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Since Greta Gerwig’s movie adaptation has recently been released for rent, we thought what a better book to pair with the movie, than Little Women itself. This is a book about the “little lives” of the March daughters who are all spectacular in their own ways. It centers on Jo who is intent on living her life on her own terms and it follows her and her sisters on their journey of growing up to be women.

So grab a warm drink and a cozy blanket and distract yourself from the outside world with these books. We hope you love them!

Emily Gassaway

Cal Poly '21

I am a second-year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a minor in Child Development.