5 Black History Month events you need to attend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

For Black History Month let’s take this opportunity to attend some of the amazing events put on by our campus. These events are   the perfect opportunity to branch out, educate yourself and learn from your peers. 

Here are five events you should attend for Black History Month:

State of Blackness

This event is a panel conversation around blackness at Cal Poly. This conversation will be focused on action, hope, transformation and belonging. The State of Blackness Panel will take place this Thursday from 5pm to 7pm in UU 220.

Developing Positive Relationships with speaker Martin Harris

This event will be a great opportunity to hear more from esteemed speakers about positive relationships with our peers. It  will take place on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in building 52 room E-03.

S.H.E. Black Womxn’s Mixer

Support Women Everywhere  (S.H.E) mixer is an open dialogue where community members can talk about hot topics, have discussions, network and build a campus community. The event  will take place Feb. 26 6-8pm UU 220. 

Change the Status Quo Conference Keynote Speaker Angela Davis

This year’s keynote speaker for Change the Status Quo Conference is activist, scholar, author, educator and National Women’s Hall of Fame honoree, Angela Davis. The speech will take place on Feb. 29 in the Cal Poly Multi-Use Activity Center. Use this link for registration and more details.

Stories Matter: Live Storytelling

This event is a series of  live performances from Black community members telling personal stories. Dr. Joye Carter, the first Black American in the United States to become a Chief Medical Examiner will be storytelling. This event will be on Feb. 29 from 7-9p.m. at the Kinney SLO. Use this link to get tickets and more information.

All of these events are a great way to celebrate and learn something new for Black History Month, whether you attend them all or only one, it’s a great step to broaden your horizons.

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.
Hi I'm Lauren! I am the Campus Correspondent at Cal Poly, SLO. I am studying journalism and hope to have a career in TV broadcasting. When I'm not running around campus with a camera interviewing people, you can find me watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. I LOVE anything beauty or skincare related and I'm always looking for new makeup products! Follow me to see makeup looks, sunset pictures in SLO and all my friends! (Oh and I have some funny tweets too!)