5 Best Study Spots On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Sick of walking circles around each floor of the library looking for a spot to hole up with your homework for hours?  Yeah, us too.  With more and more students on campus each year, finding a quiet study spot on campus is becoming nearly impossible.  The library is a disaster during midterms and finals week, unless you get there at 7:00 am to claim a spot for the day.  Luckily, there are a few spots on campus that offer the same (if not better) study experience as the library without the hundreds of people fighting for the spot by the outlet.

1. Baker Science Building

This super cool new building has an abundance of study and workspace!  Each floor has a ton of comfy couches in a lounge area to hang out with groups, and there are many corners to find a quiet solace and cram for your midterm tomorrow.  The best spot by far is on the 3rd floor by the elevators on the side with the stairs that connect to the 1st floor.  Behind the elevators is a grouping of tables and chairs with a beautiful view of Cal Poly, and it’s secluded enough to not be too noisy and distracting.

2. San Luis Lounge, University Union

Right across from the ASI office, the San Luis Lounge is a secluded room full of comfy chairs and computers.  Major perk: close proximity to Starbs downstairs.

3. O’Neill Green, Business Building

The business building lawn is a beautiful place for relaxing, people watching, admiring Bishop’s Peak…and studying! There are concrete benches scattered throughout the lawn to camp out on, or just grab a blanket and plop down on a nice dry piece of grass. 

4. Construction Innovations Center

The Construction Innovations Center is a cool industrial building that is easy to get lost in, but also hides one of the greatest study spots on campus.  Walk up the stairs closest to the Construction Management building to the third floor, and turn right.  There are a few tables on the balcony to study at, and this beautiful view offers a sunny area to get a tan while cranking out homework.

5. The Arboretum

The Arboretum is one of the prettiest places on campus, and has a beautiful array of plants and flowers to peruse.  If you can brave the trek out there, this spot offers a quiet and serene atmosphere to de-stress and review your notes.  Wandering around also makes for a great study break!

Alisha McGoldrick is a senior at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting. In her spare time, she loves making inspiration boards, reading, and shopping at farmer's markets.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8