5 Bands to Listen to That Are Not Your Typical Boy Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I think we can all agree music is the best human creation, well, since forever. And who doesn’t love the Indie Pop/Rock/Folk genre with its guitar strumming and melodic lyrics, and all of the variations in between? Keep reading for a list of great bands from within that genre that you are never going to want to stop listening to!

There is something distinctive that these bands have in common: women vocalists and musicians. These bands have reclaimed what it means to be a band. Today, we often think of “boy bands” when we think of a collaborative group of artists (*cough* One Direction). However, in their most basic form and theory, bands are not gender exclusive. Bands are solely about making music.

Too often in all male-member bands, their behavior and lyrics tend to follow the pop trends that target only a small part of the music audience.

However, with bands that have both female and male members, the female vocalists help to create a more diverse sound and oftentimes the lyrics are more universally relatable.

So let’s get to it – here are the 5 bands that totally crush the boy band stereotype:

Grouplove

Grouplove’s energy is infectious. They will make you want to jump up and down to the beat and go on a road trip down the coast with your friends.

Of Monsters and Men

Of Monsters and Men will add a bit of whimsy to your playlist. Play their songs whenever you’re adventuring through magical forests riding unicorns and fighting trolls.

Florence + the Machine

Ah, Florence. Who cannot fall into complete and utter love with her haunting vocals? Her voice is enchanting, her presence onstage is mesmerizing, and she is accompanied by the most melodious instruments – and that effect makes Florence + the Machine. This is one of those bands that are simply amazing both live in concert or blaring out of your car radio.

The Naked and Famous

Their song “Youngblood” should always be on your go-to list when you are in need of for a happy song. Their albums’ songs synthesize beautifully, yet each album has a distinctive and refreshing sound.

The xx

Smooth , minimalistic, and effortless – that is The xx.

And there is the list gals! I hope you had some fun listening to some great songs, and maybe found a few new favorites of your own.

Something to keep in mind: the point of this article was not to say boy bands are bad; they make great music as well.

But I think it is important to recognize the bands that make music with gender inclusivity – the whole spectrum – because it helps to balance out the male dominated idea of “bands” being all male.

Bands are about making good music, yet there is also a social justice aspect to them in that music has the power to reach and influence millions; so let’s make sure we support the messages we want sent out…

Awesome women vocalists and musicians?

Bands that are gender inclusive?

Lyrics that don’t objectify you?

Music you can enjoy wherever you go?

Count us in!

Meghan is a third year Anthropology and Geography major at Cal Poly.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.