5 Bad Social Media Habits: Are You Guilty?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Social media—it’s the way our generation most commonly connects. Be honest, the moment you wake up, you immediately check your phone and the notifications you got throughout the night on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. We all do it.

But sometimes, do you ever have that feeling of utter dread to open up your social media just because you have nothing else to do? Yep, we do that too. Social media isn’t as great as it seems. Here’s why:

1. Snapchat stories that are more than 100 seconds long, with random pictures that you don’t even get why they posted in the first place. Like seriously, who has the time for that? I don’t know about you, but I have the attention span of a goldfish, which is like 10 seconds max. I don’t need to know that you saw a dog on your hike or that you’re eating food.

2. That one friend (or friends, if you’re unlucky) that sends you requests or invites for games that forced you to login using your Facebook. For the millionth time, I do not want to give you a life in Candy Crush or play Farmville with you. 

3. Feeling obligated to like your friends’ pictures on Instagram even though their picture has no relevance or interest to you whatsoever just because they like ALL of yours. Never thought I’d feel guilty about not double-tapping. I guess I’ll like it.

4. The one girl who has a 365 day project album on Facebook that should actually be renamed “365 Selfies,” because literally all of them are her face with what she did that day in the description rather than portrayed by the picture.

5. Excessive hashtags on Instagram by that one girl who obviously just wants to get more likes, using #instadaily, #selfie, #instagramcuties, #picture, #nature, #ibreatheair. Even if likes come from complete strangers, likes are likes, right? True, but I want to just see pictures on Instagram, not obsessive blue hashtags.

Cathie Deane is third year History major seeking internships at museums, slowly wanting to work her way up the big leagues in Washington D.C. in the Smithsonian museums. She is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta,  as well as various clubs such as Chinese Student Association, Korean American Student Association, and Pilipino Cultural Exchange.She loves eating pizza, going on Pinterest, listening to music on Spotify, working out and being outdoors, spending time with Christ, and hanging out with friends!Follow her on Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter: @cathiecdeane
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8