32 Ways You Know You Went to SLO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1. You say ‘SLO,’ but rarely San Luis Obispo

2. You chuckle a little inside whenever people ask you San Luis Obispo or Pomona

3. You list hiking as one of your top hobbies (sometimes not by choice)

4. You cringe at the thought of going to the library solely for the reason of tackling the stairs

5. You went to the football stadium to watch soccer

6. You have wonderful memories from WOW week and never hesitate at a chance to chant ‘Wowies’

7. You have a piece of gum at the Bubblegum alley

8. Clam chowder at Splash Café is the best clam chowder; no questions asked

9. Slodoco was an angel sent from heaven above, especially on those Saturday mornings (Two words: maple bacon)

10. You either spoke highly of Frank’s hotdogs or always drove past wondering if the rumors that it was good were actually true

11. You never hesitated to drive to In-N-Out despite the fact it was a good 20 minutes away

12. Whenever someone spoke of Madonna, you immediately envisioned the Madonna Inn or Madonna Mountain

13. Mustang Village still gives you the chills

14. Rain at school was no blessing (oh the joy of walking home)

15. You either owned Rainbow flipflops or Birkenstock sandals and were proud of it

16. Yoga pants/sweats for every occasion, seriously

17. It didn’t matter how many times you saw a deer on campus, each time was just as exciting as the first

18. You never fail to use ‘learn by doing’ in conversation with other mustangs, usually in a joking manner

19. Poly Planner really just rubs you the wrong way

20. You either waited 2 hours to get your UCSB V. Cal Poly Soccer ticket or just ordered it online for 10$

21. You owned a North Face and wore it proudly even if it wasn’t even raining

22. Registering for classes is debatably the worst time of the year

23. You had a bike, but never rode it

24. You actually liked the quarter system, and defended it against anyone who debated semesters were better

25. St. Patrick’s Day never really mattered until you came to Cal Poly

26. You got pretty tired of seeing people Instagram their Acai bowls from Sally Loo’s

27. Whenever you were bored you immediately found yourself driving to the beach

28. Whether you were apart of Greek Life or not, you always felt apart of the campus and community

29. There was no such thing as owning “too much” Cal Poly apparel

30. You have a love/hate relationship with the term “slomies,” but you sometimes use it anyway

31. You encounter former mustangs outside of Cal Poly and no words need to be spoken because you just know you share a special bond

32. To you, San Luis Obispo is not just any college town, but a home that will always hold a place in your heart

Samantha is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly. On campus, she is a staff writer for the Mustang News, editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, a board member on the American Marketing Association and plays intramural soccer. She loves to write, wear pajamas and re-watch episodes of The Office on Netflix. She aspires to have a career in broadcast journalism or law and hopes to someday travel around the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu