This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

If you’ve scrolled through TikTok, Instagram, or Pinterest lately, you’ve probably seen colorful, chunky rings all over your feeds. While there are many available to buy on Amazon or Etsy, you can also easily make your own using clay, beads, or resin! 

Polymer Clay

Per my TikTok feed, this seems to be the most easy and popular method for making the rings. All you need is polymer clay, which is available in a variety of colors at Michael’s and in most other craft stores. The clay should be soft and able to be manipulated without needing tools. You can choose to mix colors together or make single-color rings. Mold the clay into whatever shape you want (check out this page for some ideas) and bake according to the package instructions on top of a sheet of parchment paper, seal with nail polish top coat or mod podge, and you’re all set! 

Beads

Another fun ring idea is to use beads! For this method, you will need a hair straightener (an iron at low temperature will work too), parchment paper, and pony beads. Arrange a couple of beads in a straight line between a sheet of parchment paper and heat in the hair straightener. When the beads have melted together a bit, take them out of the straightener. Carefully mold the strip around your finger into a ring shape when the beads have cooled slightly or around a marker or highlighter. 

Resin

This is the most time-consuming version, but they look amazing! The supplies are resin, color powder, any add-ins like gold leaf or small pressed flowers, and these ring molds. Start by prepping your area with the proper safety precautions and mix your liquid resin with any color or add-ins you’d like in a sturdy cup. Then, pour the mixture into the molds and allow them to set before wearing your creations. The rings are durable and the silicone mold is reusable, letting you craft as many rings as you want. 

These DIY options are easy, affordable ways to add some trendy accessories to your wardrobe. Hopefully, you not only love how your rings turn out, but you have fun making them too!

Emi Nishida is a fourth year English major with Linguistics and Child Development minors from Irvine, California. She serves as Editor in Chief for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Other than writing, her passions include music, dance, romcoms, anything arts & crafts, and exploring the outdoors.