3 Reasons You Need to Take a Cal Poly POLS Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s face it; GE’s are not our favorite thing in the world. We often find ourselves asking “What is the importance of this class?”, “How will this even help me?” or “Will this actually be applicable later?”. However, while some GE’s may not be the most fun to take, there are some courses that are important to take during your college career that will provide you with an unforgettable experience. Political science courses are super important and can help you in more ways than you realize. 

Here is why you need to take a POLS class at Cal Poly….

1) It will provide you with an unforgettable experience. 

In political science, we don’t sit around and talk about hypothetical situations all day, like “What would a perfect government do?”. We talk about global issues and things that are going on in our society. It is always important to be knowledgeable about what is going on in our country so you can be an informed voter and citizen overall. In terms of issues, and as our world becomes more globalized and societies all across the globe become more connected and interdependent, we’re going to need to know what is happening and what role we play in the grand picture. 

2) Political science classes extend all borders.

In these classes, we don’t just talk about politics; we discuss topics like technology, culture, religion, philosophy, science and business. If you name it, then it’s a topic discussed in political science. See, this topic encompasses so many other issues and really brings the full picture together. So if you are one of those that think that this GE course will have nothing to do with your major, you might want to reconsider. You may find that your major actually plays a big role in political science. 

3) It will broaden your horizons.

One of the most rewarding and fulfilling classes that at Cal Poly is Comparative Political Culture. It helps to show just how sheltered we truly are, and how we live in this bubble of cultural norms and ideas that we rarely come out of. This class really is an eye-opener to the world and challenges students to think in a way that people with different cultures would think. By the end of the course you want to challange people who make ignorant comments about other cultures, and encourage them to think about the issue from another perspective.  It shows that there is more to this world than our immediate bubble, where it’s possible to venture out of our comfort zone. 

This is why you need to take at least one POLS class while you are here at Cal Poly. It will be such a rewarding experience and you will learn so much. In the end, you will walk away as a new person with a whole new perspective on life and our world. 

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.