The 3 Best Smoothies at Lucy’s Juice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

For me, Lucy’s Juice, a small smoothie shop attached to the side of Sandwich Factory in the University Union, falls under the same category as Cal Poly’s rec center: Things I’ve always wanted to try have never gotten around to.  Most recently, I told myself I would go to celebrate the completion of my last final–but I needed lunch, and the Sandwich Factory lines were long, and by the time I shoved open the exit doors, I didn’t want to stay and wait for a smoothie.  There’s also the issue of choice.  There are thirty smoothie options available; making a decision can be difficult, especially if you’re one of those people who hate ordering under pressure when there are people in line behind you (I’m one of those people).  Luckily, I decided to consult fellow freshman Patricia Montenegro, someone who has hung out at Lucy’s a few more times than I have, and she named three smoothies to look out for.

1. Mango Tango Smoothie

The Mango Tango Smoothie, a delicious combination of orange and pineapple juice blended with pineapple sherbet, non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt, mango and bananas, is perfect for those who enjoy mango’s rich, summery taste.  Patricia, who initially chose the smoothie because she loves mango, reports that the smoothie wasn’t excessively sweet.  She’d recommend this to other mango enthusiasts.

2. Tropical Greens Smoothie

According to the Cal Poly Dining page, the Tropical Greens Smoothie is pineapple juice blended with spinach, bananas, peaches and coconut.  For those who want a healthy dose of greens but don’t necessarily enjoy the taste, the Tropical Greens Smoothie is the way to go.  Patricia reveals that, though it was “green and healthy, it also tastes really good.  The greens were masked by the pineapple flavor.”  She chose it because she also enjoys a similar smoothie from Jamba Juice.

3. Lawn Mower Smoothie

Cal Poly Dining page states that the Lawn Mower Smoothie is constructed of orange juice with blended kale, Swiss chard, spinach, celery, cucumbers and ginger.  Depending on an individual’s taste, this smoothie can either be heaven or hell.  If you lean more towards a fruity smoothie, this green machine may not be for you–Patricia, who tried a friend’s Lawn Mower, says that it “tasted like grass”, especially for someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy kale.  However, if you’re big on veggies, this smoothie will delight you.  Freshman Dana Mason, a vegetable enthusiast, says that though she hasn’t been to Lucy’s often, when she does go, she “always [gets] one of the green smoothies because [she] likes smoothies with some sort of vegetable.”  Needless to say, the Lawn Mower is one of her favorites.

Did we miss any super yummy flavors? Let us know!

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu