29 Things To Thank Your Boyfriend For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Valentine’s Day might be over, but that doesn’t mean we should stop appreciating our boyfriends (or sort-of-not-really-friend boys – I’m not judging) for all the things they do for us. Big, romantic gestures are great, but in the end, it’s the tiny things they do for us every day that matter.

1.     Opening doors for you, even though he knows you’re more than capable of doing it yourself

2.     Not being afraid to actually let you open doors for him

3.     Dealing with a mouthful of hair whenever you want to be the little spoon (and let’s be real, that’s every night)

4.     Pretending like he didn’t notice when you sprawled all over the bed last night and took up at least 98% of the mattress, despite being half his size

5.     Calling you on your bullsh*t

6.     But knowing when to pick his battles 

7.     Listening to you rant about that know-it-all in your 12 to 2 class and pretending like he hates her too

8.     Giving you his jacket even though he’s freezing and you really should’ve known not to wear a tank top in 55 degree weather

9.     Reassuring you that you’re not fat… for the fifth time today 

10.  Knowing that the phrase “Are you hungry? Do you want to go to Pluto’s?” really means, “I’m hungry, so let’s go to Pluto’s”

11.  Letting you hook the auxiliary cord to your phone in his car, every single time. 

12.  Putting up with your embarrassing #MCM posts, and making you his #WCW when you (not so subtly) hint that he should 

13.  Understanding that expecting you to shave your legs every day is just absurd

14.  Telling you that girl in his group project isn’t ten times hotter than you, even though she’s totally ten times hotter than you

15.  Letting you freak out over him not texting back within two minutes, even though sometimes it takes you two hours

16.  Ordering curly fries, knowing fully well you’ll eat all but three of them

17.  Letting you pick the movie

18.  Being the one to actually pick the movie, after ten minutes have passed and you realize you’re too indecisive for such an monumental decision 

19.  Waiting to watch the next episode on Netflix until you’re with him 

20.  Keeping his phone unlocked, with the screen up, even though you’re “totally not the jealous type”

21.  Listening to you complain about how guys can be such jerks sometimes, even though he is, ya know, a guy

22.  Taking a picture of you and your friends for the eighth time, because the first seven just weren’t Insta-worthy

23.  Ordering your second choice dish when going out to dinner, knowing you’re going to want to eat off his plate anyway

24.  Carrying you over puddles when you decided it would be a good idea to wear flip flops in the pouring rain 

25.  Being a boyfriend most of the time, but being just a friend when that’s what you need him to be

26.  Dealing with your long, stray hairs that show up literally everywhere, because you shed more than any dog ever could 

27.  Holding your hand, even though you’re practically the snow queen and have ice cubes for fingers 

28.  Not giving you flack for wearing workout clothes for the third day in a row, when he knows you haven’t worked out in over a week

29.  Being the one to get up and turn off the light when you’re both already under the covers… If that isn’t true love, I don’t know what is

Nikki is a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where her parents think she's on track to graduate early with degrees in both Finance and French. She is -- kind of -- but she currently functions under the delusion that graduation, much like the limit, does not actually exist. In wake of this recent quarter-life crisis, Nikki plans to live out her final days as an undergrad nursing her giant ego, making Mean Girls references, and advocating for the continued use of the Oxford comma. She prefers her dog and s'mores Poptarts over most things, and survives on a delicate combination of iced coffee and cookie dough. In her free time, Nikki enjoys binge watching Modern Family, embarrassing herself in front of cute boys, and making empty promises to go to the gym. Hate mail and Mindy Kaling gifs can be tweeted to her anytime at @nikkikontiki.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8