This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Ever wanted an insight into what the perks of attending Cal Poly SLO are from real students? Whether you’re a current Cal Poly student, alumni or possible incoming freshman, here are 19 of the reasons we couldn’t imagine being anywhere but Cal Poly SLO:

1. The location

San Luis Obispo, located in central California, is the ideal college town. With a weekly farmer’s market, hipster coffee shops, and an adorable downtown, there’s always something to do. Cal Poly is surrounded by beautiful mountain and beach scenery, with hiking spots all around.

2. Cal Poly’s “Learn By Doing” motto

Instead of being stuck listening to lectures all day, we get the chance to do hands-on learning. Anyone up for a class trip to the pier?

3. Cal Poly’s reputation in future workplaces

Whether your degree is in Mechanical Engineering, Wine and Viticulture, Industrial Technology, Architecture or Graphic Communications, the name California Polytechnic State University holds a high reputation for its extreme hands-on approach to learning. With a degree from Cal Poly, your future employer KNOWS that you’re qualified.

4. The private school-like class sizes

Class sizes at Cal Poly are small enough where we can get the attention and help we need from our professors and peers.

5. The types of people you meet

It’s rare to find people as kind as the people of SLO. No matter where you are, whether it’s the long line at Starbucks in the UU or a table in the library, you’re bound to make a new friend on the daily, anytime and anywhere.

6. All of the SLO puns you can make

At Cal Poly there are SLO many puns to choose from. Whether you’re considering making Cal Poly your SLOme or you already go here, SLO puns will be a part of daily life.

7. The rec center

Don’t fear the idea of freshman 15. Cal Poly offers a state of the art, and brand new recreation center at your fingertips. Whether you’re the type to workout alone or in a class, Cal Poly offers it all.

8. The weather

You can’t beat the weather in SLO. On average, there are 287 sunny days of the year and only 33 days of rain. No wonder sunny SLO is one of the happiest cities in America.

9. Cal Poly chocolate

You go to a school that literally makes its own chocolate. What more do you want out of life?

10. It’s full of traditions

From throwing tortillas on the field at the UCSB Soccer game, to completing the tri-tip challenge, to the bar crawl when you turn 21, Cal Poly traditions are always something to look forward to.

11. Typical dorms aren’t your only living option

Some universities force freshmen into the “college experience” by requiring that they live in an on-campus dorm. At Cal Poly, while you still must live on campus your first year, you have the option to live in an apartment. If having a kitchen, living room, or office is something you can’t live without, or communal bathrooms just aren’t your thing, Cal Poly may be able to cater to your lavish living needs.

12. Dreamy sunsets and hiking spots

Cal Poly has so many great hiking spots to watch the sunset. From serenity swing to the beach, trust assured there’s always a great spot to watch the sunset.

13. Unique classes galore

Beekeeping, tractor-driving, bowling… we’ve got it all!

14. Cute goats and dogs by the library – basically just animals everywhere

Because Cal Poly has an excellent agriculture program, the likelihood of encountering an adorable baby animal on our way to class is ridiculously high.

15. San Luis Obispo Donut Company (SloDoCo)

At literally any hour or day you can go into this establishment and purchase a cinnamon roll INSIDE of a donut. Enough said.

16. All the Instagram-worthy spots

Whatever theme you have on your Instagram, there’s a location at Cal Poly that fulfills all your cute photo fantasies. Climb up to the Serenity Swings and grab a cute picture there, or head out to the abandoned barns behind Costco for some great outdoorsy shots.

17. This photo of Zac Efron

As one of the most beautiful beings alive, and featured singer of some of the catchiest songs know to man (we’re looking at you High School Musical soundtrack), this photo of Zac Efron wearing a Cal Poly shirt is a major reason to pick Cal Poly. If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for us.

18. Cal Poly calves

Cal Poly is a great campus because you can walk pretty much everywhere. In fact, ‘Cal Poly Calves’ has become a slogan because so many students choose to walk to their classes around campus.

19. The senior projects

If you’re a fan of Jamba Juice or Yerba Mate, you’re already a supporter of Cal Poly’s senior projects. All of Cal Poly’s hands on learning boils down to the senior project where you can let your creativity shine and create something awesome.

Although there is a never-ending list of reasons that we love it here, these top 19 are the tried and true reasons that San Luis Obispo, and Cal Poly too for that matter, really lives up to the name, “The Happiest City in America.”

Avalon Cassard is a second-year Journalism major at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. She loves french fries, all kinds of music, and anything beach related. She was born and raised in Laguna Beach, California and spent most of her childhood there before moving up to Alameda, a small island in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even though she lives up in Northern California now, she still defines herself as a SoCal girl at heart.
Ashley Ladin is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly SLO. She spends most of her time planning out future snacks, rewriting everything she has ever written and online shopping for niche goods.
Student Athlete Majoring in Journalism. Obsessed with all things involving nature, art, and music.
I am a first-year Sociology major at Cal Poly with a love for writing researching, and arguing. I plan to have a concentration in Criminal Justice and minor in Anthropology and Geography. If you know me you know I trip at least twice every day, bake often (especially when I'm stressed), and binge-watch the same shows over and over again.
Hi I'm Lauren! I am the Campus Correspondent at Cal Poly, SLO. I am studying journalism and hope to have a career in TV broadcasting. When I'm not running around campus with a camera interviewing people, you can find me watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. I LOVE anything beauty or skincare related and I'm always looking for new makeup products! Follow me to see makeup looks, sunset pictures in SLO and all my friends! (Oh and I have some funny tweets too!)