15 Things Everyone Experienced When Alan Rickman Died

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1.You woke up to a million text messages that Alan Rickman died, and you thought it was a joke.

2. You searched every news source to make sure it was true, and it was.

3. You proceeded to lay in bed in shock, while a single tear trailed slowly down your cheek and onto your pillow.

4. The single tear turned into a hurricane of water coming from your face.

5. Somehow you dragged yourself out of bed to eat a “mourning” waffle, and instead of covering it with syrup, you covered it with tears.

6. You managed to find the time in your day to sit down and watch Galaxy Quest. By Grabthar’s hammer, you had to!

7. For the rest of the day, you dreaded going on Facebook because you knew every article on your feed would be about our beloved half-blood prince.

8. And when you did go on and inevitably see a memorial picture of him, you relapsed to the state of an emotional puddle.

9. You called your mom and cried a lot, as if it had been a close family member who passed away.

10. You momentarily changed your phone background to a picture of the cast of Harry Potter with their wands up.

11. You contemplated going to a tattoo parlor and getting “Always” permanently etched onto your forehead.

12. Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Thompson’s tributes were the death of you.

13. You were mad because you felt the most sad of everyone on the entire planet, and other people who claimed to be sad, actually couldn’t compete with your sadness.

14. You fell asleep trying to rearrange your celebrity top 10 crushes, which seemed impossible with the void Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility left.

15. No matter the devastation you felt, his contribution to the world of entertainment will always inspire you, and bring you comfort.

Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.