13 Tips for the Best Halloween Party Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

When your roommate is an autumn enthusiast who plans for Halloween months in advance, it’s not difficult to get into the spirit of the season. But for all of us who don’t live in Halloween Town, here are some tips for throwing a smashing party this October 31st.

1. Spooky Playlist – Everything from Monster Mash to Dead Man’s Party. Don’t forget Spooky Scary Skeletons!

2. Costume Parties – Though they might require a little more work from you and your guests, costume parties are the perfect opportunity to let your creativity shine. If you’re looking for more challenge and fun, try a themed costume party. 80’s Celebrities as Zombies is a theme I’d love to try one day.

3. Halloween Décor – Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive or scary. Go traditional with fall colors and pumpkins or storm Dollar Tree for silly decorations that will get your guests laughing.

This is Squelette. She started off as a decoration but ended up as my fifth roommate.

4. Black lights – Pick up a few black lights, some glow-in-the-dark paint and voila! Spooky darkened room in minutes.

5. Jack-O-Lanterns – Nothing gets me more excited for the holidays than crafts! Make your own beforehand as decoration or have a pumpkin carving contest. (Remember to save the seeds for a tasty treat!)

6. Sweets – Celebrating Halloween is all about the candy, am I right? If you have time to spare, spooky cookies are an adorable and tasty touch.

7. Drinks – If you don’t have a cauldron lying around the house, don’t worry. Provided you followed tip #4, add some tonic water to your house mix to make a mysterious glowing potion! Don’t be afraid to get creative with it.

8. Ghost Stories – Turn off all the lights, hand around a flashlight and swap scary stories with your guests. Guaranteed to generate either hysterical laughter or hysterical screaming.

9. Horror Movie – If you’re just chilling with a few friends, go with scary movie classics like Friday the 13th or a cult-hit like Donnie Darko. If it’s noisy and you’re just looking for some background ambience, go with old school black-and-white horror like Dracula and House on Haunted Hill. When in doubt, you can never go wrong with It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

10. Spirit Camera – Take silly photos of your human and spirit guests with free apps like Ghost Effects.

11. Goody Bags – Hand over that leftover candy! Instead of ziploc bags, buy disposable gloves for a spooky goody bag.

12. Designated Driver – What’s really scary is the thought of your guests not returning home safely. If you’re serving alcohol, make sure at least one competent driver is willing to stay sober.

13. Reverse Trick-or-Treating – If you’re opting out of partying this year, go door-to-door in your dorm or neighborhood bringing goodies and Halloween cheer to your neighbors. I did this last year and it is so much fun. After getting over the initial confusion, your neighbors will love you.  

Have a happy October 31st, collegiettes!

Sam Snow

Cal Poly

Sam Snow is a biomedical engineering 4th-year who enjoys movies, music, dancing, and making people laugh. She's passionate health, especially mental health, and her friends and family. 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu