10 Yummy Mug Meals You Can Make in Your Microwave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s be honest with ourselves here: most college students don’t have time to cook a homemade meal everyday. This is why we stick to the famous college Ramen diet. We want quick, easy, and no-mess meals so we can finish the million-and-one other things we have to do that day. Whether you want a break from campus food, are in a hurry, or are just content in your couch potato state, here’s ten microwavable mug treats that will take no time at all. Your tastebuds will thank you.

1. Get in the fall spirit with this delicious Pumpkin Pie in a Mug from The Palemo Mama

Ingredients:

●       1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin

●       1 egg

●       1/4 teaspoon of honey

●       1 teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie spice

Mix pumpkin, egg, spice and honey together in a mug until smooth. Put mug in microwave for 2-2 ½ minutes, and voila!

2. My personal favorite! Dig in to this tasty Cookies n’ Cream Mug Cake from Kirbie Cravings.

Ingredients:

●       1/4 cup white chocolate chips

●       3 tbsp whole milk

●       4 tbsp all-purpose flour

●       1/4 tsp baking powder

●       1/2 tbsp vegetable oil

●       2 Oreo cookies

Pour chocolate chips and milk in a mug and microwave for about 40 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted. Add in flour, baking powder, and oil until smooth. Crush two Oreo cookies into the batter with a fork until only small pieces remain. Microwave for 1 minute. Top with chocolate chips, and enjoy.

3. In a hurry in the morning? This fantastic Omelette from Just Putzing is just for you then!Ingredients:

●       2 large eggs

●       1 tbsp flour

●       1 tbsp skim milk

●       1 tbsp low-fat grated cheese

●       2 tbsp diced green bell pepper

●       2 tbsp diced onion

●       salt/pepper

Crack eggs into a mug and whisk with a fork. Stir in flour, milk, cheese, and veggies. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Microwave for 1½ to 2 minutes, and bon appetit.

4.  Get rid of your sweet tooth with this Nutella Mug cake from Babble!

Ingredients:

●       4 tablespoons self rising flour

●       4 tablespoons white granulated sugar

●       1 egg

●       3 tablespoons cocoa powder

●       3 tablespoons Nutella

●       3 tablespoons milk

●       3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients into a large mug, and microwave 1 ½ to 3 minutes. Top with whip cream after cooling. Simple as that!

5.  Need a little pick-me-up before class? Try this yummy Chocolate Espresso Cake from Kirbie Cravings!

Ingredients:

●       1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

●       3 tbsp fat free milk

●       2 tbsp all purpose flour

●       1/4 tsp baking powder

●       1/4 tsp espresso powder

●       1/2 tbsp vegetable oil

Pour chocolate chips and milk into a mug, and microwave for about 40 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add in flour, baking powder, espresso powder, and oil until batter is entirely smooth. Pop in microwave for about a minute, and enjoy.

6.  Apple pie is to die for, but this tasty Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake from The Hungry Hedgehog beats pie any day.

Ingredients:

●       3 tablespoons flour

●       1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar

●       1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

●       1/8 teaspoon baking powder

●       1 tablespoon applesauce

●       1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

●       1/2 tablespoon milk

●       1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder together in a mug. Add applesauce until batter is smooth, then add oil, milk, and vanilla. Stir well. Microwave for about 45 seconds and enjoy!

7. Try this classic Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug from The Comfort of Cooking with a scoop of ice cream. Trust me, your sweet tooth will love you. 

Ingredients:

●       1 Tablespoon unsalted butter

●       1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

●       1 Tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed

●       1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

●       1/8 teaspoon salt

●       1 egg yolk

●       3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

●       1-2 Tablespoons chocolate chips

Microwave the butter in a mug until melted, usually 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in sugars, vanilla, and salt until thoroughly mixed. Mix in yolk until smooth, and then add flour. Fold in chocolate chips, and pop in the microwave for 40 seconds. Dig in!

8. There is seriously no greater comfort food than homemade mac n’ cheese. Try this delicious recipe from Ella Claire Inspired!

Ingredients:

●       1/3 cup Whole grain elbow macaroni

●       1/2 cup Water

●       1/3 cup Cheddar-Jack Shredded Cheese

●       Splash of milk

Add macaroni and water into a large mug. Microwave for 6 minutes, stirring about every 2 minutes. Add cheese to mug, and microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Stir and add in milk, and tah-dah.

9. Don’t have time for an elaborate breakfast in the morning? Think again! This Banana French Toast in a Mug from Steph’s Bite By Bite is to die for!

Ingredients:

●       2 slices whole wheat bread, cut in cubes

●       1 egg

●       4 tablespoons almond milk

●       2 tablespoons applesauce

●       2 teaspoons cinnamon

●       1 teaspoon vanilla

●       1/2 banana, sliced

●       maple syrup

Put half the bread cubes into a large mug, and top with half of the banana slices. Layer the remaining bread cubes, and top it off with the rest of the banana too. In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and applesauce together until smooth. Pour over the top of the mug, and microwave for 2 minutes. Top with syrup and enjoy this treat!

10. Want pancakes in the morning without the mess? Make this Pancake in a Mug recipe from Keep Recipes!

Ingredients:

●        4 Tbs Flour

●       1/4 tsp Baking Powder

●       1 Egg

●       2 Tbs Milk

●       1 Tbs Coconut Oil, melted

●       Dash of cinnamon

●       Pinch of Salt

●       4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (3 Tbsp for batter, 1 for topping)

●       Non-stick Cooking Spray

Spray the inside of a large mug with non-stick cooking spray. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and then pour batter into the mug. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes and top with yummy syrup!

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu