This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Curious about what to look out for in the entertainment industry in 2021? We’ve compiled 10 TV shows and movies for you to check out this upcoming year, ranging from superheroes to science fiction and documentaries to horror. With quite a few genres covered, we hope you enjoy!

“WandaVision”

This might be an exception, as it has already been releasing episodes on Disney+, but the TV show “WandaVision” is a smash hit for anyone who enjoys that mashing of sitcoms, thrillers and Marvel characters. This story follows the lives of Wanda and Vision as they live in an idyllic suburban town, but all might not be what it seems when things start falling apart. You’ll see characters you might recognize from recent movies, like Wanda Maximoff and Vision, and some older ones who’ve made a come back, such as Monica Rambeau (Captain Marvel), Darcy Lewis (Thor movies), and Jimmy Woo (Ant-Man and the Wasp). For fans of Marvel, as well as sitcoms and thrillers, we hope you check it out!

Black Widow

Black Widow follows one of the original six Avengers of the same name in a sort of prequel movie. Black Widow, also known as Natasha Romanoff, returns to the big screen as she confronts a conspiracy involving her past as a KGB spy trained in the Red Room while on the run. Actress Scarlet Johansson will be returning to her role as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, accompanied by some new faces, such as Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova and David Harbour as Alexei Shostakov. These new characters have old connections with Natasha before she was an Avenger, and it will be interesting to see how they interact. Black Widow releases on May 7, 2021, and we hope you watch!

“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”

“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” follows Sam Wilson / Falcon and Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier after the events of Avengers: Endgame. As Sam has been given the mantle of Captain America by Steve Rogers, he teams up with Bucky as they take on an anti-patriotism group known as the Flag-Smashers. With actors Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan returning to their roles as Sam and Bucky respectively, as well as some new villains coming to the screen (Flag-Smashers), we are in for a treat. For fans of Marvel, this TV show premieres on Disney+ on March 19, 2021.

Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes is an upcoming spin-off of the G.I. Joe film series. It follows the titular character Snake Eyes, throughout his origin story before becoming the G.I. Joe operative we know and love in the current film series. Actor Henry Golding will be portraying Snake Eyes, and Andrew Koji will be portraying Snake Eyes’ rival Storm Shadow, and this movie will possibly portray the intricacies of how their rivalry began. Not much is known of the plot other than that it is an origin story; however, we are excited nonetheless. Snake Eyes releases on October 22, 2021, and we hope you check it out!

“The Book of Boba Fett”

“The Book of Boba Fett” is a spin-off TV series of the highly popular series “The Mandalorian” and follows Boba Fett, a legendary bounty hunter, in the Star Wars universe after his reintroduction in Season 2 of “The Mandalorian”. Actor Temuera Morrison and Actress Ming-Na Wen will be reprising their roles of Boba Fett and Fennec Shand respectively. Not much is known of the plot for this series, though we are excited to check it out after seeing Boba and Fennec in action in “The Mandalorian”. For fans of Star Wars, “The Book of Boba Fett” is set to premiere in December of 2021, and we hope you enjoy it!

Luca

Luca follows a young boy who experiences a fantastic summer on the Italian Riviera as he makes friends and connects with a sea monster disguised as a human. Not much has been revealed by Pixar in terms of who will be voicing Luca and his newfound friend, but the clips that have been released show that the animation will be bright and beautiful. We are excited to find out more about this film and who will be in it. Luca will premiere on June 18, 2021, making it a perfect film to watch this summer.

“Genius: Aretha”

Created by National Geographic, the Genius series is an anthology series that focuses on the untold stories of the world’s brilliant innovators. “Genius: Aretha” is set to follow Aretha Franklin and explore her musical genius, amazing career and enormous impact she had on music and culture. Actress Cynthia Erivo will portray Aretha Franklin in this season of Genius. “Genius: Aretha” is set to premiere on March 21, 2021, and we hope you enjoy it!

A Quiet Place: Part 2

A Quiet Place: Part 2 follows the Abbott family after the deadly events that occurred at home in the first movie, and their continued journey as they fight the outside world while still in complete silence. Forced to flee their home, they quickly learn that there are more threats to the outside world than just the monsters that hunted them by sound. John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe reprise their roles in the Abbott family, with Cillian Murphy and Djimon Hounsou joining the cast. For fans of the first movie and horror in general, A Quiet Place: Part 2 release on September 17, 2021, and we hope you enjoy it!

“Ms. Marvel”

“Ms. Marvel” follows the iconic character Kamala Khan in her origin story as she becomes Ms. Marvel, teen superhero. Actress Iman Vellani will star as Kamala Khan in the television series. Not much is known about the plot so far other than it is an origin story, and more will be revealed soon. “Ms. Marvel” is set to release in late 2021 on Disney+, and we hope you check it out!

The Green Knight

For fans of Arthurian legend comes a movie based on the poem “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight”. The Green Knight follows Sir Gawain, the headstrong nephew of King Arthur, as he embarks on a quest to find and fight the Green Knight. Actor Dev Patel will star as Sir Gawain, with Sean Harris and Ralph Ineson starring as King Arthur and the Green Knight respectively. The Green Knight is set to release on July 30, 2021, and we hope you enjoy it!

We hope you check out these TV shows and movies as they are released either on streaming platforms or theatrically, as we highly recommend them!

I am a fourth year English major at Cal Poly. I love reading as many books as I can, and it's rare to catch me without one. When I'm not reading, I'm scrolling through social media or hanging out with friends.