Style > Beauty

10 Totally Normal Reasons Why You’re Breaking Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

One thing they don’t tell you about your 20’s: breakouts still happen. You might be thinking to yourself, “I thought I outgrew my teenage complexion; why am I still breaking out?” The truth is, while breakouts are most common during puberty, they can happen at any age. Whatever type of breakout you’re dealing with, there’s a good chance the reason is hidden in your daily routine or is something you cannot control. Listed below are 10 totally normal reasons why you might be breaking out. 

1. Stress 

When we feel stressed, our bodies produce stress hormones. These hormones can ramp up oil production in the body leading to clogged pores and potential breakouts. Stress breakouts are also caused by chronic inflammation which can cause flare-ups and irritated skin, according to Dr. Bradley Bloom, a dermatologist at Laser and Skin Surgery Center of New York. Stress can cause breakouts, and stressing about your breakout can lead to a never-ending cycle of clogged pores. To reduce your stress, try taking time out of your day to meditate or exercise. 

1. Hormones 

Hormones are one reason why individuals have an increased risk of breakouts during puberty, but the truth is, hormonal acne can happen at any age. For women, hormonal acne is also very common during menstruation and menopause phases of life, according to Flo Health Insights. Breakouts from hormones are caused by fluctuating levels of androgens in the body. 

3. Maskne

Have you recently noticed more breakouts by your mouth and chin area? Face masks bring a new factor into your skincare routine. Wearing face masks is important in keeping yourself and others safe and healthy, but certain masks are better than others when it comes to your skin. Cloth face masks tend to trap oils, sweat, and bacteria, making that area of our skin at high risk of a breakout. Face masks made with more breathable material, or disposable masks, are the better option for your skin. However, if you do prefer a cloth mask, just remember to wash it often to clean the oils and bacteria it may have trapped during its use. 

1. Diet 

How your diet affects your skin can differ from person to person, but there are some foods that are generally more common to cause breakouts. Foods high in gluten, dairy, and sugar can cause breakouts due to high insulin levels, according to Marque Medical. I have personally noticed breakouts from eating foods like chocolate and milk products. I have since substituted some of these foods by switching to only dark chocolate, which has less sugar and therefore can be better for your skin, and milk alternatives such as oat or almond milk.  

1. Not Washing Sheets and Pillowcases Enough 

Your sheets and pillowcase can trap bacteria from your body, and if not washed enough, can carry the bacteria onto your skin. This is especially true if you are going to bed without showering or washing your face, letting the dirt you have picked up from the day rest on your sheets (literally). It is recommended to wash your pillowcases once a week and sheets every other week for the benefit of healthy glowing skin. 

1. Lack of Sleep 

Sleep is one of the most helpful things we can do for our bodies, yet it is so often neglected. When we don’t get enough sleep, our skin can become inflamed, leading to breakouts of acne. This is true for even one night of lost sleep, according to Acne Skin Site. Losing hours of sleep can also contribute to other reasons behind acne such as unbalanced hormone levels and stress. 

1. Ingredients in Your Face Products 

There can often be frustration when the products we are using to improve our skin are resulting in the opposite. This is why it is imperative to look at the ingredients in your skincare products before using them on your skin. One ingredient to avoid in your skincare routine is mineral oil, according to Jeannie Downie, a cosmetic dermatologist. The heavy moisturizing agents in mineral oil can clog your pores, leading to bad breakouts. Other oils such as coconut oil are also good to avoid. Additionally, many beauty products with fragrances are more likely to irritate the skin. Most times the best solution to finding products to better your skin comes from talking to a dermatologist about what is best for your particular skin type. 

1. Your Laundry Detergent Irritates Your Skin 

When it comes to your skin, sticking to what you know works for you is always the best option. This is also true when it comes to your laundry detergent. No matter what is going through our washing machines, clothes, towels, masks, it is most likely going on our skin too. Some laundry detergents have ingredients that can irritate the skin, and similar to skincare products, it is best to avoid those with fragrances. Many laundry detergents are also dermatologist tested, so always check those labels! 

1. Weather 

Have you ever noticed seemingly random fluctuations in your skin throughout the year? The climate can also alter the likelihood of getting a breakout. Dramatic changes in climate are often the cause of season-related breakouts. Dry weather can irritate the skin, leaving it with no moisture. On the other end, damp and humid climates can also cause breakouts, according to Facing Acne. Humid weather can clog your pores from sweat your body is producing as a result of this type of climate. It may seem like no time is a good time for your skin, but often weather is only a cause of breakouts in extreme climate changes. 

1. Picking at Your Face 

We know it’s tempting not to pick at that pimple on your face, but you could actually do your skin more harm by doing so. Picking at pimples is an easy way to let dirt, oils, and other bacteria in that will only make your skin worse, not to mention leave scarring. By pushing on the pimple, you can also cause that bacteria to go deeper into your skin. Therefore, leaving your hands away from your face will do you more good than harm when it comes to your breakouts. 

Good skin is something that many of us struggle with, and I know the frustrations acne can bring personally as well. However, it is important to remember that sometimes less is more when it comes to taking care of your skin, and most of the time the best thing you can do for your complexion is drinking water, regularly washing your face, and getting enough sleep. 

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.