This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

That time of the year we all dread has finally come – the start of a new quarter. The beginning of a new quarter always seems to be difficult, however there’s something even worse about the quarter right after winter break that makes it especially hard to get back into the mindset for school. Maybe it was the holidays or all the delicious food and cozy winter nights at home that make coming back from winter break such a drag. However, we’re all in this difficult time together and we all have to find a way to push through the new quarter blues, so we want to give you some tips on how to deal with being back at school and how to be successful!

1. Get Organized

Taking the night before your first day of classes to organize your binders and school supplies and even go to the store to buy supplies you still need will relieve a lot of stress from your first few weeks of classes. Staying organized and prepared will help you be more successful for the rest of the quarter and help you stay on top of tests and assignments. For example, print out the syllabuses for all of your classes and create a calendar with important test dates and assignments and keep it in the front of your binder so you always know what’s coming up next. 

2. Do something fun

The beginning of the quarter doesn’t always have to be a stressful time. In fact, syllabus week is probably when you’ll have the most free time and flexibility in your schedule. Take the opportunity to do little things that you like to do like getting your nails done, reading a book or doing some shopping. Who knows when you’ll get another opportunity once classes start getting harder, so enjoy it while you can.

3. Exercise

Once again, this is a great opportunity to take advantage of the free time the beginning of the quarter has to offer. Working out also releases endorphins and relaxes your mind which will help ease any home sickness you may be feeling after the long break.

4. Cook dinner

Now is the perfect time to try out that new recipe you’ve been wanting to test. Go to the grocery store and buy some ingredients to cook up a tasty meal. While this may not be as good as mom’s cooking at home it’s always better to have a home cooked meal versus eating out.

5. Take a bath

Taking a bath the night before any stressful event helps to relax your mind as well as your body. Add relaxing scents like Lavender or Epsom salts to your bath to relax your muscles and any tense parts of your body. You could even go downtown to our local Lush store and get some cool fizzy bath bombs to try out. 

6. Drink tea

Tea not only relaxes you but it also has many antioxidants which are beneficial to your skin, mind and sleep. However, avoid any caffeinated teas like Black or Earl Grey before your first day of classes or you’ll be up all night. However, there are many varieties of herbal teas which are decaffeinated and delicious. 

7. Clean your room

Having a clean and organized living space will also help you to feel like your social and academic life are put together and organized. Plus, it’ll really make you feel like you’re getting off to a fresh start for the new quarter. 

8. Listen to your favorite song

Sometimes as cheesy as it sounds the best way to destress is to listen to your favorite song and sing along. Listening to your favorite music will also get you pumped and make you feel like you’re ready to take on all of your classes. 

9. Write out your goals

Sometimes having a clear understanding of what you hope to accomplish by the end of the quarter will give you the motivation you need to work hard until the end. Knowing there is something important that you’re working towards will help you to try harder in your classes and not procrastinate. 

10. Look for the positive

While of course coming back to school after break and being thrown back into the grind of school work can be difficult it is important to think about the positive aspects of it. A new quarter means new classes that will further your understanding of subjects you are interested in, new opportunities, new relationships and another chance to have a great quarter!

While the beginning of the quarter is always a difficult time of adjustment, just take the time to remember why you’re here at Cal Poly and the goals you have envisioned for yourself. Every new quarter is a new opportunity to learn and grow more. Good luck!  

Isabella is a San Diego native and is currently in her first year at Cal Poly. Besides her love for her three dogs, a German Shepherd, a Chihuahua and a French Bulldog (impressive I know), she also loves sushi and online window shopping. Isabella is also a computer engineering major and enjoys learning about and keeping up with the latest technologies. In her free time you can catch Isabella sipping on tea (especially a milk tea with boba) or enjoying a plate of her favorite sushi.