10 Things to Keep in Mind Before Adopting Veganism as your News Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With the new year right around the corner, many people are choosing goals for themselves related to physical or mental health. Many people choose to adopt a vegan or plant-based diet, specifically, without fully understanding what it could do to your body and mind and without knowing the challenge that the lifestyle could be. After being vegan for 2 years (and vegetarian for 3) I have discovered a multitude of things that I think people should know about the lifestyle and I have compiled them here for you.

You can eat more than just “grass”

There’s a common misconception that all vegans can eat is fruit and vegetables and “grass” as people like to joke, but in the past decade or so there has been a huge increase in the availability of vegan substitutes. There are many all-vegan restaurants and vegan alternatives at most grocery stores that allow vegans to have plant-based burgers, tacos, pizza, etc. I’ve even found vegan corn dogs that taste just like the real thing! But, even if there weren’t all these alternatives, there is still so much that vegans can eat; you will be surprised by all the everyday food items that are vegan, like bread, many brands of crackers and chips, Oreos, and of course all the whole, plant-based foods like vegetables, fruits, rice, beans, nuts, etc.

People will probably tease you/make fun of you

Hopefully, there will be people in your life who support you if you choose to adopt this lifestyle, but the chances are there are going to be many people who poke fun at your choices. Laugh with them! It’s an extreme lifestyle, be prepared for people to question you.

Your body will change

You could lose weight, you could gain weight, but no matter what your body will change as you radically alter what you are putting into it. A lot of people, myself included, have experienced a lot of bloating initially. This is likely because of the addition of a significant amount of fiber to your diet as you shift to eating more plant-based foods that naturally contain a larger amount of fiber. People have also had their skin clear up and they have experienced weight loss. The way your body reacts initially is not indicative of how your body will feel in the long run; it takes time for your body to adjust to a whole new way of eating.

You do not have to be “skinny” to be vegan

Another common misconception is that being vegan automatically makes you “healthy” and thus “skinny.” I really do believe veganism can be a healthy diet, as I have learned there are many ways that it benefits your body, however, I have struggled immensely with this perception because I felt like I had to look a certain way in order to call myself “vegan.” And this is just absolutely not true. It took me a long time to realize that there is no perfect way to be anything. You are vegan and you are you.

You might stop being able to tolerate certain foods

In my experience and in the experience of others it seems that when you stop eating dairy and meat for a long period of time, your body stops being able to tolerate it. I learned this happens because your body stops producing lactase, the enzyme that digests dairy, thus if you eat it after omitting it for so long you could experience stomach pains or other side effects. The same, in my experience, goes for meat. Your body is not used to consuming that kind of protein and fat, so if you eat meat after a period of not eating it, you could have stomach cramping and side effects. 

It helps your gut health and thus your mental health

When switching to a plant-based diet, naturally you are eating more plants, fruits, vegetables, legumes, etc which all contain large amounts of fiber. According to research cited by Insider.com vegans tend to have healthier gut microbiomes (the good bacteria in our digestive tract) because vegans have a more vegetables and whole grain-based diet which cultivates healthy gut bacteria. This is super important because your microbiome relates directly to the production of tryptophan which is an important building block of serotonin, according to sciencfocus.com. The article shows that this could help with depression and lead to a better quality of life.

It is great for the planet

Animal agriculture plays a huge role in the emission of CO2 and greenhouse gases as well as the misuse of water. One person being vegan has a bigger impact than you think, and thousands of people being vegan has an huge impact. An article by the Independent.co.uk cited studies that showed “meat and dairy production is responsible for 60 percent of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions, while the products themselves providing just 18 percent of calories and 37 percent of protein levels around the world.” By being vegan one can reduce their carbon footprint from food by up to 73 percent. Climate change is such a broad topic and the contribution of animal agriculture to greenhouse gases is complex, but to sum it up, the lead author of the study published in the article stated “A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use.” If you want to learn more about this I would recommend the documentary titled “Cowspiracy” which can be found on Netflix.

You will likely need to take B12 and possibly other supplements

In general, by eating a plant-based diet, you can greatly increase your levels of nutrients and vitamins, but there is one vitamin we cannot get from a plant-based diet and that is B12. An article from Forksoverknives.com details the need for B12. Humans obtain B12 through eating animals who eat food covered in bacteria. As humans, we have very advanced techniques to clean our own foods and thus we have evolved to obtain B12 solely from animals. However, it is very easy to obtain B12 through a supplement and it is vital that you do because a lack of it can have extreme consequences. It’s important to check your supply of other nutrients as well, by getting your blood tested. Though it is possible to garner all the necessary minerals and vitamins from food, it is hard to do so when we live busy lives. So take your supplements!

It can decrease your risk of heart disease and various cancers

Vegans are much less likely to develop certain chronic diseases like heart disease, cancers, diabetes, etc. because they eat significantly less saturated fat and cholesterol. A documentary titled “What the Health” (accessible on Netflix) showed a man who completely reversed his terminal heart disease with the adoption of a plant-based diet combined as well with exercise and more sleep.  Medicalnewstoday.com cites studies that plant-based diets can reduce your risk of type two diabetes, protect against certain cancers, reduce your risk of coronary heart disease by 40 percent. 

You will get more protein than you think

The classic question every vegan gets is some variety of “how do you get enough protein?” The answer is very simple; there are so many plant-based ways for vegans to get protein in their diet. You can find protein in beans, lentils, protein-fortified pasta, protein smoothies, tofu, quinoa, etc. For example, one-half cup of lentils has 9 grams of protein which is more than a whole egg. One hundred grams of quinoa contains about 14 grams of protein and if you combine that with a quarter cup of chickpeas containing 11 grams of protein you have the same amount of protein as one hundred grams of chicken. As long as you are mindful about your diet, you will not be protein deficient. 

Hopefully, this article can give you the confidence and some of the knowledge you need to start 2020 as a vegan if you choose to do so. For me, it was hard at first, but it got easier. It’s important to remember that you don’t have to be perfect. It’s fine to make mistakes; trying is the most important part. I found that as I learned more and more about the diet, I became more and more proud to call myself vegan despite any teasing or skepticism. My everyday life feels so much more purposeful as everything I eat has intention behind it: to reduce my carbon footprint, to reduce animal cruelty, and to put healthful food into my body. I cannot imagine my life any other way and I wish you the best of luck if you decide to switch to a plant-based diet. Happy New Year!

Emily Gassaway

Cal Poly '21

I am a second-year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a minor in Child Development.