10 Things to Do on the Train Ride Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
The train ride can be a really interesting and enjoyable experience the first time around. But if you’re like me and have to ride it a bit more often, you’re eventually going to need something to do along the way. This especially pertains to those who have rides for extensive periods of time. Homework can seem like a given, and once it’s done you can feel at a loss of what to do next. I’ve had to ride from SLO to the Los Angeles Union Station on multiple occasions and those six hours have felt tedious without some sort of activity to keep me busy. Here are some suggestions on things you could do:

1. Read that book that’s been collecting dust on your shelf.

I can’t explain the amount of times I regretted not bringing something to read along the way. And when I finally did, I was able to finish a book that I had been stuck on for months! It’s definitely a relief to go through this experience, and the train setting usually puts me in the perfect reading mode.

2. Create a playlist based on your mood.

What are feeling at the moment? Are you a bit nostalgic from missing family members? Are you excited to see your best friend when you get back? Are you feeling relieved after taking that midterm you studied extensively for? Find songs that fit that mood and bring them together. It’s quite a relaxing experience. You can also check out some of the playlists suggested by Her Campus!

3. Enjoy the awesome view.

This is especially relevant for those of you heading south from SLO on the train. The Pacific Surfliner makes it a point to use a route that passes by the beautiful coast. The ocean scene is truly amazing. I was even lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a whale during one occasion!

4. Make a birthday list.

I’m talking about a list of your friends’ and family members’ upcoming birthdays this year. When you have a lot on your plate at school, it can be easy to forget someone’s birthday and let it pass by without proper recognition. Utilize that time on the train to set reminders on your phone and brainstorm some gift ideas!

5. Try some train food.

Actually, I might not really recommend this one. It can be kind of expensive and doesn’t always taste the best. But if you’re still curious, there’s usually a separate cafe cart that sells snacks and is fairly convenient. Just make sure you have a firm grip on your food when you walk back to your seat so you don’t spill anything! And if you’re still hungry but don’t want to buy from the cafe, I would take a shot at #6.

6. Find or make a friend in business class.

If you’re in business class, that’s awesome! You’re in it for some free snacks. These usually include chips, trail mix, oreos, and a small Pepsi. But if you didn’t sign up for this kind of ticket and one or more of these options sounds good to you, it’s time to try some tactics. You can distract them and reach for the bag of snacks to see if anything good is inside. Or you can try plan B and ask if they’re willing to give anything up. In the best situation, they might just give you something they didn’t want.

7. Catch up on your favorite show!

Once you connect to wifi, you should be ready to watch an episode or two of a Netflix classic. But warning, the wifi on the train can be extremely slow. If you’re at a really intense scene, you should anticipate a lot of buffering. (It’s almost as if the wifi knows when you’re going to need it most.)

8. Text a friend or relative.

Once you’re free on the train, it’s a perfect time to check in and see how someone’s doing. However, you should also anticipate slow connection and loss of reception with your service. This especially goes for my friends travelling south. I once had to send an important message to someone and lost service, so I wasn’t able to respond for the next hour. Make sure you plan ahead!

9. Start or end a habit!

Maybe you’re trying to improve your memorization skills. Perhaps you’re trying to get better at using gender neutral pronouns. Or maybe you just want to eliminate a certain phrase from your vocabulary. Whatever the matter may be, you have a decent amount of time to try and embark on that path towards improvement!

10. Get some much needed rest.

This one is probably the most obvious, but some people tend to forget they need it! You’ve been working hard, and that can definitely be overwhelming if you don’t manage to get enough rest. So bring a pillow, lean back in your seat and let your mind do the rest.

These are all tactics that have made my train ride a bit of a more enjoyable experience. It can be difficult finding something to do that isn’t school-related, but once you find the right activity it’s easier to pass the time. Try your shot at some of these ideas or make one of your own. Before you know it, you’ll be pulling into your destination wondering where the time went!

Frank | He/Him | Feminist | INFJ
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.