10 Struggles of Not Being in a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Scrolling through Instagram can make you feel like your 15 friends are miniscule compared to that of your sorority friends who are always posting pictures with their millions of sisters.

When your mom sees you with your sorority friends and nags you that being in a sorority would be great for your social life.

Your sorority friends always want you to go out to fraternity parties.

But if you drink enough you can admit to actually having fun.

You secretly get jealous when they talk about all the fun they are going to have at their formals and exchanges.

Then you have to hear all about what happened after their formals and exchanges.

Not having the luxury to just easily wear one of your many sorority shirts everyday like they do.

The worst is during big-little-week when all of your sorority friends are gushing over their littles/bigs and how gorgeous their “families” are. (Seriously though, WHY ARE THEY ALL SO PRETTY.)

All in all, you feel really loved and special knowing that they are friends with you when they have so many cool sorority sisters to choose from.

And you know that you can still have fun and have tons of friends whether you’re in a sorority or not.

Sam is an English major and Media Arts & Technologies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She enjoys walking around bookstores, going to the movies, and writing fictional stories that she never seems to finish. She dreams of becoming the next Queen of England and her weakness is donuts (preferably maple-glazed, but she isn't picky).
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8