This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

In honor of March being Women’s History Month, it is only fitting to recognize the words of wisdom spoken by some of the most influential women both in the past and in modern day.

Be they authors, activists, politicans, or comedians,  these women have created a significant impact on society. From the great Eleanor Roosevelt, to the imaginative J.K. Rowling, here are some quotes that everyone can live by: 

Eleanor Roosevelt

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”

Julie Andrews

“Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.”

Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor

“I do know one thing about me: I don’t measure myself by others’ expectations or let others define my worth.”

Nancy Reagan

“I am a big believer that eventually everything comes back to you. You get back what you give out.”

Margaret Thatcher

“If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.”

Rosa Parks

“I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.”

Mother Teresa

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.”

J.K. Rowling

“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default.”

Evita Peron

“I know that, like every woman of the people, I have more strength than I appear to have.”

Lupita Nyong’o

“…No matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.” (Taken from her Oscar’s acceptance speech)

Amy Poehler

“Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that- that’s what life is.”

Isabel Allende

“I can promise you that women working together – linked, informed and educated – can bring peace and prosperity to this forsaken planet.”

Karie is currently a Senior at California Lutheran University. She is a Marketing Communications and TV/ Film Production major.When she's not busy working on content for Her Campus, Karie enjoys going to Disneyland, especially on Dapper Day, watching Sofia Coppola movies, and reading long novels at the beach.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!