This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Photo Courtesy OfPhotoPin.com  

It’s that time of year again! Time to take out your best costume and go door to door, knocking on strangers’ homes in hopes of getting free treats. But what is Halloween? Who came up with the idea to dress up, go to strangers’ homes, and celebrate death?

When you think about it, it’s not uncommon for cultures to celebrate their ancestors. Dia del los Muertos is a common celebration in Latin American countries that celebrates the death of their ancestors. However, the American version of celebrating death is a lot more publicized. Major Hollywood films celebrating the holiday brought it into our homes and made it a huge market celebrated by millions; where tons of people spend there money on costumes, candy and decorations. 

I for one, am, and always have been, a fan of Halloween, especially when I was younger. I loved dressing up like a princess and getting candy (being able to stay up past my bed time was also a bonus). It’s not everyday you get to be someone you’re not and never be questioned about it. Halloween has become to me not about celebrating death but more about embracing your fears and moving past your comfort zone. Halloween is one of the most unique holidays because the real celebration occurs at night and it’s not as family oriented. Although Halloween is unlike any other holiday, it is one of the most popular holidays due to it’s uniqueness. “Trick or Treating” and carving pumpkins has become an American tradition and will live on for generations.

Photo Courtesy of PhotoPin.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!