This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

On Tuesday September 6th, 2017, Donald Trump announced the future removal of the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) order protecting an estimated 800,000 young undocumented immigrants in America. This act was enabled on June 15th, 2012 under the then-Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, and President Barack Obama, aiming to protect the dreamers hiding in the shadows. Trump has given Congress six months to come up with a replacement plan, while the current DACA order will expire. The end of this act could potentially threaten thousands of immigrants and their legal status. This act affects many more people than one may believe, including our economy, and holds families together. 

I researched what one may be able to do in the upcoming six months before this act is “under effect,” and while we can not directly reverse Trump’s order as of now, we can fight back and make the government prove its demonstration of arguably immoral action.  

If you or someone you know is a DACA recipient, here is what you need to know according to AJ+ news on Facebook:

1. “Until you are sent to an immigration judge, you do not have to leave the United States.” Do not let this act scare you into leaving; you do not have to budge until you are called into a court of law. On top of that, DACA is still in effect for six months.
  2. “You do not have to stop working until your work permit expires, or return your work permit to the government unless you are explicitly asked to.” It is unlawful for your employer to question anyone’s immigration status once it is on file, so you can not be fired or interrogated on anything citizenship related.

3. If your work permit is predicted to expire after DACA ends, you should renew your work permit now while the act is still underway.

4. During the next six months, you can apply for Social Security and a state-issued Identification Card. “Social Security is good for life, and while you cannot work, you can apply for loans or take out a mortgage.”

5. If you are still a minor under DACA, you have no unlawful presence in this country and can therefore be sponsored by an employer. A shocking third of DACA recipients were minors when this program was created, and a large percentage are still under eighteen.

In the meantime, everyone can push Congress to issue a replacement for the program, and it is up to all of us to let our voices on this matter be heard. We should contact our state representatives (phone, email, snail mail, WHATEVER) and urge them to create a replacement program for the undocumented, because the ball is now in the legislator’s court. However, we can all make a shot and make this a time of unity and peace in the apparent wake of impending economic and moral demise.

All images courtesy of Photopin.com

Editor’s Note: This article is the perspective and opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Her Campus at Cal Lutheran or Her Campus Media. Thank you. 

Erin Niemi

Cal Lutheran '20

Erin Niemi is a student at California Lutheran University and is pursuing her BA in Communication. When she isn't typing up a Her Campus article at a local coffee shop, you may find her at a concert, the beach or the movies! Erin is passionate about local news, beauty, science, sports, entertainment and music. She is also a huge Star Wars and MCU geek, and she will happily talk about either for hours if given the opportunity.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!