Wander with Me: Staying Local

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It can feel like a lot of pressure when the whole world is telling us, as college students, that now is the time to travel and see the world. Yes, we all want to go on exciting international trips, but sometimes its just unrealistic. Traveling is one of the most expensive hobbies to have and a lot of college students just don’t have the means to make it work. 

Believe it or not, travel doesn’t always have to include expensive plane flights and steep hotel prices.

One way to keep your adventure cravings under control is to find new spots around school that help you get a little change of scenery. The hikes in Wildwood are often over-done, so maybe head over to Newbury park and try a few of the trails in that direction. Or try Malibu Creek State Park to find endless hikes, all with incredible views. One underrated spot is the Oakbrook Regional Park, which has a unique Chumash display near the parking lot and offers a variety of trails leading all around the mountains tucked back behind Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks.

I know a lot of people go home on the weekends, but if you’re unable to make the trip back home and want to have a fun weekend away from school then there’s still plenty of opportunities. There are a bunch of campgrounds relatively close to Thousand Oaks that are cheap and easy to reserve. Some of my favorites are Leo Carrillo, Lake Cachuma, and El Capitan, and sometimes you can even get last minute campsites there. Getting away for the weekend is actually very stress-relieving and can make you feel like you’re ready to take on the week back at school. And camping is always fun – grab a few friends and spend the night under the stars for a nice break from reality. 

Finding local travel spots can open your eyes to all of the really great attractions we have in the area here. You never know what you’ll run into when you set out on an adventure! It helps you feel like you are learning and seeing the world, just starting in your own area at first. We’ll all be able to travel the world someday, so if you can’t right now then there’s no reason to stress. Start local and you’ll be surprised at how many cool new spots you can find.

Hope this feeds your hunger for exploring! 

xx Teigs

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!